briggs& stratton intermitant

padamski

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper rear engine mower with a14.5 B&S engine (2001). The engine is Model#287707,Type1235-E1, Code 001212ZE. This past spring the mower developed a problem in that while running it would die out as if out of gas. It might run for 10sec, 10min. or 25min. etc. Brought it to local shop and they replaced the carb.even though they said the problem was the electrical part on the bottom of the fuel bowl. The problem has reappeared despite all new; plug, air filters,fuel filter,fuel lines,and cleaned gas tank. It starts but will die intermitantly with no rhyme or reason. If I bang on the fuel bowl or electrical part on the bottom of the fuel bowl it will usually restart and run for awhile.I would appreciate any insight. THANK YOU

Ckn087

Threads
If it will start then I doubt its the anti afterfire solenoid although it is possible. Make 100% sure there is no chunks of debris floating in the tank that would block the inlet and then after dying, float away and cause it to be able to start again. Check gas cap vent hole, check that fuel flows good out the fuel filter and doesn't trickle out. Also if it is gravity fed, it needs one of those briggs and stratton red filters on it, not the paper type for fuel pumps. Try filling up the tank and take a clean jug and empty at least half or so into the jug by taking the line off the carb side of fuel filter. Make sure it flows good the entire time. If that checks out, then I would say you have junk in the carb still.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have never worked on one with the afterfire solenoid, I would check the wires leading to it, and follow them and make sure they are tight or not shorting anywhere.