carburetor float stuck open?

alunube3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
Newbie DIYer here and new to this forum.

I have a craftsman 7.0 hi tunnel self propelled mower. I had a hard start problem so I took the carburetor bowl off and cleaned the gunk.
I also cleaned the float by spraying carb cleaner.

I stepped away for a little while and noticed that the float was leaking gas. i.e. seems to be open. I have to hold it up to stop the gas.

Is this normal with the bowl off ? i.e. Will it stop leaking if I put the bowl back on is there a problem with the float ?

Not sure what to do next.

Thanks for your help

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is normal for gas to flow through the float valve with the bowl off because the fuel that collects in the bowl is what pushes the float up to shut off the fuel flow. Can't get more descriptive than that without knowing which engine is on your mower.

alunube3

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is normal for gas to flow through the float valve with the bowl off because the fuel that collects in the bowl is what pushes the float up to shut off the fuel flow. Can't get more descriptive than that without knowing which engine is on your mower.

Thank you very much for your answer.

It's a Briggs and Stratton engine. Craftsman model 917.378644. I'm going to put the bowl back and try to start it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is the carb I am thinking about. the bowl nut also has a fuel jet in it, and make sure it is clean both in the center hole but also the cross holes.

alunube3

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is the carb I am thinking about. the bowl nut also has a fuel jet in it, and make sure it is clean both in the center hole but also the cross holes.

Thanks again. I put the bowl back and cleaned both the center hole and cross hole of the bottom nut. I have the mower starting now after a few pulls.