B&S Intek 20hp runs rough

cgrab

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper LT200 that my neighbor gave me when the clutch was worn out. I have since fixed that and used it for two seasons. The following is a short saga you can skip to get to my problem.

The battery had been dying and I had been charging it every so often. I replace the alternator. When I started it, it ran rough with little power. I drove around the yard and then parked it and put out the fire-the paint on the muffler guard caught fire. I then tried to start it again and it backfired. I pulled the flywheel and replaced the key. I checked the mag spacing and I replaced the spark plugs. One was so fouled it wouldn't fire-which led to the actual fire. I then removed and thoroughly cleaned the carb and replaced the gasket. The compressions are about 160 in each cylinder. I get a spark on both sides. The fuel pump works but I don't know what it's output should be.

My problem is that when I start the mower, it runs at high speed for about 5 seconds and then it slows. I can throttle it down but then only throttle it back up about half way before it runs rough and smokes. After about 30 seconds I shut it down and the plugs are fouled again. Usually on one side but not the same side each time. A flaky black foul that is easily brushed away. I get the same results when I try it with the air filter removed.

What should I try next.

Other info: Engine Model 406577 and Nikki carb 796110 with the throttle and choke inline.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Is it black smoke its blowing or blue oil smoke?

cgrab

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it is a blue smoke.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think it is a blue smoke.

If Blue smoke I don't see it having "A flaky black foul that is easily brushed away".

Blue oil smoke would get the plug oil fouled & not black flaky..

cgrab

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK but why is it fouling at all and running so rough

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can do a leak down test, that will tell you..

cgrab

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll have to get a tester from the parts store but will try to get it done.