24hp Briggs Intek won't start

Threads
Ok, the valve with the bent pushrod is stuck. Either it's bent or the guide is warped or something. Engine probably overheated. I found a new head. I think I'll just replace both heads while I'm at it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm not sure about this engine, but you might have a bushing in the guide you can replace. I do not know if it is a fix though.
experts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They probably did not both go at once.
As Walt has already mentioned these engines happily run on one cylinder.

A pushrod bends because the cam is pushing it up but the valve can not go down

Only 2 things cause this to happen

Valve is stuck or piston is hitting the valve.

You should do a little investiating
Is the blower housing in good condition & all there ?
Is the fan working
Is the flywheel key intact
are the fins clean

Threads
Thanks
The parts manual is not showing one, but that may not mean anything. I'll pull the #1 head tomorrow and take a look at it. Could be that the valve is just bent.

Threads
They probably did not both go at once.
As Walt has already mentioned these engines happily run on one cylinder. That's what I was thinking too. because the engine seemed to have lost alot of power, mowing in thicker grass, just before it shut down.

A pushrod bends because the cam is pushing it up but the valve can not go down Yes

Only 2 things cause this to happen

Valve is stuck or piston is hitting the valve. The valve is stuck. Had to bump it in with a hammer to get it to slide back in, and once down, the spring is unable to pull it back up..

You should do a little investiating
Is the blower housing in good condition & all there ? Yes
Is the fan working Yes
Is the flywheel key intact Yes
are the fins clean could use some cleaning but is not clogged or overly dirty.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like new head time.
Unless you are really stretched for cash or have a philosiphical problem buying new parts it is not worth the time & effort mucking around .
Just bear in mind something caused that valve to bend and that is generally hitting the piston.

Threads
Sounds like new head time.
Unless you are really stretched for cash or have a philosiphical problem buying new parts it is not worth the time & effort mucking around .
Just bear in mind something caused that valve to bend and that is generally hitting the piston.

What would cause the valve to hit the piston?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Con rod coming loose
When the head is off run the piston to TDC then just past till the piston just starts to move down
Press down on the piston
If it moves just the slightest the rod is loose
Or put you finger on the piston and put light pressure on it .
Rotate the engine a few cycles with your other hand
If you feel a "click" a TDC or BDC then the rod is loose.

Threads
Ok will do. Both heads threw a connecting rod; one was bent, the other was intact. Does that mean both con rods could be loose?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Both heads threw a connecting rod?

Connect rod connects to the crankshaft, and turns the vertical motion of the piston into rotating motion of the crank, if it breaks, there is nothing to stop the upwards movement of the piston, until it hits a valve or the head.
What broke in your heads were the push Rods.