Snapper mower - I feel like I am going to fall off!

echelonphoto

Threads
So....going thru teething pains with my new/old snapper. Got it running pretty good, but on may lawn , which is pretty flat, but has a few small inclines on transition to the sidewalk....when I get to these...I feel like I will fall right off the mower...the seat tilts an awful lot and it is not loose...checked the bolts. Seems like the whole suspension kind of sags. Also pretty rough ride and very grabby clutch...I do wheel stands all the time.

Stucktube

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper mower - I feel like I am going to fall off!
So....going thru teething pains with my new/old snapper. Got it running pretty good, but on may lawn , which is pretty flat, but has a few small inclines on transition to the sidewalk....when I get to these...I feel like I will fall right off the mower...the seat tilts an awful lot and it is not loose...checked the bolts. Seems like the whole suspension kind of sags. Also pretty rough ride and very grabby clutch...I do wheel stands all the time.

What model mower is it? The wheel stand part sounds like an older rear engine rider and the falling off part sounds, to me like a zero turn looks like it would feel. I've never driven one.

Last edited:

echelonphoto

Threads
It a 33" cut rear engine 13hp from 1995. I noticed that the front section is a attacned to the rear by a pin, so I think the rear section moves independently from the front...so when you are going diagonally down an incline, your hands are solid on the wheel, but your butt is tilting with the weight of the rear end.

Stucktube

Forum Newbie
Threads
It a 33" cut rear engine 13hp from 1995. I noticed that the front section is a attacned to the rear by a pin, so I think the rear section moves independently from the front...so when you are going diagonally down an incline, your hands are solid on the wheel, but your butt is tilting with the weight of the rear end.

Is the pin the same as shown 7:50 into the liked video? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5w3lVyh4bWA

echelonphoto

Threads
It looks like the same kind of pin...the different is the beam coming off the flange on mine is much thicker and rectangular...but you can see on that video...the slot that holds the pin is elongated...so I suppose the rear section is supposed to move side to side independently of the front....I just find this movement to feel really like you have no control.

Stucktube

Forum Newbie
Threads
The front and rear wheels on my Snapper used to pivot in separate directions the way you've described and I didn't like it either. The front tube now, seems to be frozen inside the back tube. This would be fine with me except that to tighten the belt I understand I have to slide the front tube out and remove some of the washers from in front of the plate with the elongated hole and place them behind it.
My purpose in joining this forum was to find out how someone who had freed a stuck tube had done so. It seems that no one in the group has ever freed a stuck tube because I've gotten no replies.
Jim Jackson, the man who made the video in my link has many YouTube videos on repairing Snapper Rear Engine Riders. There's one on adjusting a clutch. That one might help with your wheelie situation.