X500 transmission longevity

Vigilant

Threads
I got quite a deal on an X500. The hour meter showed 21 hours, and I know that's not right. Engine seems to be in great shape, and the oil stays clean. The hood and floor pan still look like near new. The transmission is another story. The oil looked black as soot. I doubt that it has ever been changed. The reservoir was the nastiest I have ever seen. It was covered with crud. I had planned on putting a transmission in it, but I serviced the engine and trans and have run it for 9 hours. Transmission works perfectly, but coasts just a short distance when you take your foot off the pedal going forward. I have heard there is an adjustment screw under the pedals that should take care of that. Since it is doing so well after being serviced, do you think it might still go the distance or close to it?

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 97405

I got quite a deal on an X500. The hour meter showed 21 hours, and I know that's not right. Engine seems to be in great shape, and the oil stays clean. The hood and floor pan still look like near new. The transmission is another story. The oil looked black as soot. I doubt that it has ever been changed. The reservoir was the nastiest I have ever seen. It was covered with crud. I had planned on putting a transmission in it, but I serviced the engine and trans and have run it for 9 hours. Transmission works perfectly, but coasts just a short distance when you take your foot off the pedal going forward. I have heard there is an adjustment screw under the pedals that should take care of that. Since it is doing so well after being serviced, do you think it might still go the distance or close to it?

Thanks in advance.

Only time will tell, unfortunately. If you drained it out good and put new fluid in it, that is about the only thing you can do.
You would have to disassemble the unit to clean the magnets that collect the metal particles.
If something did go wrong, you would have over the price of a new transmission in rebuilding the old one, so I would just run it.
You could drain the oil again after running it a bit and see what it looks like.
If the oil looks good, and the unit is driving good, then I would think you should be good to go, with the exception of something unusual happening.