Troy Bilt Pony tiller w/Briggs & Stratton engine not starting

jbell

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Pony tiller w/Briggs & Stratton engine not starting
I'm pretty fresh to the small engine repair world, and I have an old tiller (Troy Bilt Pony w/Briggs & Stratton engine) that is not starting, or at least not running for longer than 3-5 seconds. The last time I used it was over ten years ago. It was stored with gas in the tank.

TBPT_01_20190826_183822.jpgTBPT_02_20190826_183822.jpg

I checked the spark plug. It looked to be in good condition, if somewhat dirty. A wire brush cleaned it up well and it is sparking consistently.

I have every reason to believe that the carburetor needs to be cleaned. I've removed the air filter, but haven't figured out how to remove the carburetor yet. Do you have advice for where I can find this information, or for what step(s) I'm missing to get it to come loose?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for any insights you might share with me.
-Jonathan

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Pony tiller w/Briggs & Stratton engine not starting
That carb sits on the gas tank, the tank is part of the carb to some extent. Drain the tank, fill with fresh gas. Give it a shot of starting fluid in the carb air inlet, try to start it. Might have to do this two or three times but it might pick up and go. Could be something rotten inside the carb but, maybe not?