Mower can not start

Mulan001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, first of all, thanks a lot for providing me so many test methods. I just did a test of coil with kill wire off. I asked someone hold spark plug which was inserted in coil boot connection. I pulled a couple of times, no sparks. My coil was installed properly. So this suggested that coil was bad. right? I am going to buy another coil. The one last time I bought was sent back to amazon.

Mulan001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did a test with coil wire off, and pull and did not see any sparks. When I pull, I took out spark plug and connected it to coil boot. Does this suggest that the coil was bad. if yes, I am going to buy another coil. Thanks a lot for replying me. Really appricated!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not to be a smart A, but you did ground the plug to the block when you did the test? If so agree DOA.

Mulan001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not to be a smart A, but you did ground the plug to the block when you did the test? If so agree DOA.

I tested with a new ignition coil with kill wire off, and I saw sparks. But when I connected kill wire, no spark. So this suggested that the kill wire circle was bad. Right? My kill wire had a module switch with part# 108-0967. How to test if this one is bad or not?
Thanks so much for replying. It's close bit by bit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Test the kill wire for continuity to the engine
In the run position it should be open circuit
In the off position it should be ground
Can't help you any more than that as Lawn Boys were never imported into Aust AFAIK.
And if they did they would not have sold well compared to the higher spec locally made mowers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since this coil has an internal trigger coil there is no way to test without an expensive piece of testing equipment. The test I use is the same as the one I posted earlier. From what you are saying, Bert has put you on the right track in testing the continuity of the kill wire.

Mulan001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since this coil has an internal trigger coil there is no way to test without an expensive piece of testing equipment. The test I use is the same as the one I posted earlier. From what you are saying, Bert has put you on the right track in testing the continuity of the kill wire.

The module switch 108-0967 is a capacitance. I used a multi-meter measure it, it has 0 resistance which I believed was bad. Right now, it is hard for me to find this parts in Canada except order on line from USA side. :- (
Thanks for all replies to help me find the reason of this malfunction.

Elfiero

Threads
Not to be a smarty-pants, but is it CAN not start or WILL not start? BTW, even when the ignition system is working perfectly, the spark will not jump much of a gap. about .030 to .040 is about it. This is not like the ignition in your car.

Mulan001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not to be a smarty-pants, but is it CAN not start or WILL not start? BTW, even when the ignition system is working perfectly, the spark will not jump much of a gap. about .030 to .040 is about it. This is not like the ignition in your car.

I took out the module switch 108-0967, pulling and could start the mower. Without that module switch, it ran only for 40 seconds then it shut down. I ordered a part from USA, it would come next month. Hope that part will fix the machine. Thanks a lot to this forum. Really helpful!