Briggs & Stratton 15.5 hp governor adjustment

wco

Forum Newbie
Threads
I rebuilt the carburetor on my b&s 15.5 hp vanguard OHV single cylinder engine. This is model number 28Q777-0691-E1. I am trying to adjust the governor but there is a tab on the throttle plate that obstructs the governor adjustment nut. I am trying to find out what I need to do. Do I remove the plate and bend this tab? Also, do throttle plates for all 28Q777 work of all the different models of 28Q777's? I only can find one throttle plate on ebay and it only says 28Q777.

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
I rebuilt the carburetor on my b&s 15.5 hp vanguard OHV single cylinder engine. This is model number 28Q777-0691-E1. I am trying to adjust the governor but there is a tab on the throttle plate that obstructs the governor adjustment nut. I am trying to find out what I need to do. Do I remove the plate and bend this tab? Also, do throttle plates for all 28Q777 work of all the different models of 28Q777's? I only can find one throttle plate on ebay and it only says 28Q777.

I don't understand what you are talking about - tab obstructing adjusting nut.

To make static governor adjustment, loosen the nut on the clamp holding the governor arm to the governor shaft coming out the side of the block. Move the carb to wide open position and hold it there,watch what direction the governor shaft turns, turn the governor shaft coming out the side of the engine as far as it will go in the same direction as it moved. It will not move very much, re-tighten the clamp holding arm to shaft.

Walt Conner

wco

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Walt from another Walt. I discovered what the problem was. The throttle control plate was bent and would not allow me to adjust the governor. I got another throttle plate.