Weak Self-Propelling Power on Honda Harmony II Mower

rderoeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have an eleven year old Honda Harmony II mower, model HRR216 VXA. The mower started losing self-propelling power earlier in the summer. I managed to keep some self-propulsion by continuing to take up on the adjuster barrel nut. But, a few weeks ago I reached the limit of adjustment with essentially no self-propelling power. I then replaced the drive belt and readjusted the barrel nut. The self-propulsion power was great for about 30 minutes of mowing before it started decreasing again. I compensated by tightening up on the barrel nut, but the power was never "great" again. At moment I believe the barrel adjustment nut is properly adjusted. With the rear wheels lifted off the ground the wheels start spinning when the speed paddles have been pressed down less than 1/4". But, the self-propelling power is only "fair". The mower moves along at a moderate, but not high, speed on level ground. With even a slight uphill grade the mower needs significant pushing by me to make it up the hill.

I made sure to get the proper replacement belt for my model number. So, that shouldn't be the problem.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what is causing the lack of self-propulsion power? I'm guessing the belt is slipping on one of the pulleys. The brand new belt solved the problem for 30 minutes before the self-propulsion power started fading. I'm guessing the coarse outer surface of the new belt was griping the pulleys well until the outer surface of the belt was polished smooth by the pulleys.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Bob

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section to see if we can find you some answers.

rderoeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi GoToMow,

The mower pulls backwards with almost no resistance, so I doubt the shaft is binding on the bushings.

I suspect the drive belt is slipping on the pulleys for some reason. The drive cable is adjusted so that the wheels start to turn with just a slight downward movement of the paddles. If I tighten the adjustment barrel nut any further the wheels will be turning when the paddles are in the fully-up position.

I'm wondering if the pulleys are "worn" from 11 years of having the drive belt sliding over them when the drive paddles where not activated. The drive worked great for 30 minutes after the new drive belt was installed.

Bob