Briggs OHV slow starting

DRWDRW

Threads
I think I'm missing something obvious, so could someone point me in the right direction, please...

I have an 11hp Briggs Powerbuilt OHV in a small ride-on mower. It's become tricky to start, whether hot or cold. The engine cranks slowly - generally too slow to fire up.

The battery is fine, and the engine sounds fine when/if I eventually get it to run. Sometimes that will involve jump-starting and trying several times.

If I remove the spark plug, it cranks over very quickly. Voltage at the battery drops to 9.5V.

But if I replace the spark plug, cranking is very slow, and voltage at the battery drops to 4-5V.

I've checked the valve clearances, and they seem fine.

I've also connected a battery directly to the starter motor - it spins quickly, with no voltage drop.

So, are we looking at a bad earth or ignition switch?

Thanks.

Last edited:

dougand3

Threads
So, engine starts/runs quickly with battery cable directly to the starter lead? If so, gotta look upstream in the +12v power circuit. Or was this test on a bench?
Good contacts everywhere?
Solenoid partially working? The internal bar that connects the 2 big poles could be making only minimal contact and not moving enough amperage.
Ignition switch not sending consistent +12v power to small solenoid terminal? (I kinda doubt this one)
Starter Motor weak?
Decomp lobe on camshaft worn and not ticking open the valve? Try turning flywheel by hand to past TDC.

DRWDRW

Threads
So, engine starts/runs quickly with battery cable directly to the starter lead? If so, gotta look upstream in the +12v power circuit. Or was this test on a bench?
Good contacts everywhere?
Solenoid partially working? The internal bar that connects the 2 big poles could be making only minimal contact and not moving enough amperage.
Ignition switch not sending consistent +12v power to small solenoid terminal? (I kinda doubt this one)
Starter Motor weak?
Decomp lobe on camshaft worn and not ticking open the valve? Try turning flywheel by hand to past TDC.

Yes, the engine turns very quickly with a battery directly to the starter. This is while still in the mower. In fact, since posting I've started it up and used the mower for half an hour - all good.

After running the engine, I switched it off and started it up again - without a hitch. But leave it for a minute, and again it's cranking slowly. Maybe this is a symptom of a weak starter?

I haven't checked the solenoid - I was kind of thinking it would either work or it wouldn't.

The flywheel feels pretty normal by hand, although I'm not sure what I'm checking for...?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
"A" battery?

Is it "the" battery on the mower, or one from elsewhere?

What is the voltage of the battery on the mower while just sitting there?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is from the battery that is on the mower, undo and clean all of the terminals and ground etc...

DRWDRW

Threads
"A" battery?

Is it "the" battery on the mower, or one from elsewhere?

What is the voltage of the battery on the mower while just sitting there?

I've been using a jump starter pack alongside the mower's own battery. It was the jump starter I used to connect directly to the starter motor.

I've also used the jump pack to each of the battery terminals, and the engine turns just as slowly - I'd kind of ruled out the battery connections because of that.

The mower's own battery is reading about 12.8v just sitting there. I'll recheck.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try jumping it with the ground cable on the engine base instead of the battery.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easy way to test the mowers heavy load circuits is to bypass the mower all together.
So try running a jumper from the battery - to one of the starter motor mounting bolts.
See how the engine cranks then.
Similarly test the ground by hooking a jumper from the battery + ,directly to the + on the starter motor.
A stronger cranking with either jumper connected reveals a bad connection somewhere.

In the same vein, hook the starter directly to the mowers battery.
A slow crank reveals a bad battery.
Batteries can show 14V but still not have any Amps available to crank the engine.

DRWDRW

Threads
Thanks for your help, guys - you were right. :smile::thumbsup:

With the battery disconnected, the mower starts fine from my jump-starter pack. But it turns slowly using jump leads directly from the battery to the starter/engine.

Oh, and with each side of the battery jumped to the engine, it was still slow.

Like I said at first, I knew I was missing something obvious. Still a bit puzzled why it wouldn't crank from my jump pack with the battery connected, though...

Tinkerer200

Threads
Find where the battery ground cable connects to the frame, remove cable and clean both frame and ground cable contact areas thoroughly.

Walt Conner