LT155 Hard Time Starting

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
The thing is, like I said once the starter does kick in it cranks pretty robustly.....

D

Deleted member 97405

The thing is, like I said once the starter does kick in it cranks pretty robustly.....

Can you connect a voltage meter to the starter when you try to crank it and give me the voltage reading? I'm wondering if you're not getting a random voltage drop through your solenoid or safety switches. Those solenoids mounted below the battery can be problematic. It is possible that the contacts inside the solenoid are oxidized and burned to the point that they aren't transferring enough voltage and amperage everytime. I have replaced many solenoids on this model series for that issue. The solenoid will click as normal, but not always transfer the full voltage to the starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a heavy jumper lead and run it from the battery - to a good ground on the engine.
Problem goes away = bad ground

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
So no voltage at started when clicking, must be the solenoid clicking if that's what is clicking cause it's not the starter making the noise. Should have checked this before starter purchase. Change Solenoid ?

D

Deleted member 97405

So no voltage at started when clicking, must be the solenoid clicking if that's what is clicking cause it's not the starter making the noise. Should have checked this before starter purchase. Change Solenoid ?

Follow your positive battery cable. It will be bolted to the solenoid. The other identical thick red cable on the solenoid goes out to your starter.
If you have full voltage going into the solenoid via the cable coming from the battery, but no voltage in the cable going out to the starter (test with key in start position, solenoid should click), replace the solenoid. I have seen this many times.

rocky4

Threads
Plenty of battery power. Turning key, seem to hear starter fire but doesn't turn engine. I just keep on turning the key off and on until it cranks it over then starts easily. Is this a starter perhaps something else ?

Did you ever find out the problem. if not you need to check the valve adjustment. If valves are not adjusted properly this will cause hard starting as the engine is hard to turn. Try rotating engine by hand and see how hard it is to turn, if very hard adjust valves. I had this happen several times.

D

Deleted member 97405

Did you ever find out the problem. if not you need to check the valve adjustment. If valves are not adjusted properly this will cause hard starting as the engine is hard to turn. Try rotating engine by hand and see how hard it is to turn, if very hard adjust valves. I had this happen several times.

LT155 has a Kohler engine with hydraulic lifters. It isn't adjustable as a solid lifter engine would be.