LT155 Hard Time Starting

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
Plenty of battery power. Turning key, seem to hear starter fire but doesn't turn engine. I just keep on turning the key off and on until it cranks it over then starts easily. Is this a starter perhaps something else ?

D

Deleted member 97405

Plenty of battery power. Turning key, seem to hear starter fire but doesn't turn engine. I just keep on turning the key off and on until it cranks it over then starts easily. Is this a starter perhaps something else ?

As long as you have 12 volts at the starter, I would suspect the starter bendix drive is wearing out.
That is the part of the starter that moves the gear up against the flywheel ring gear.
Very common on Kohler bendix drive starters.
The bendix drive used to be available as a kit, but when I just looked it up, the part number subbed to a starter.
We usually replace the starters here at the shop because you will get almost the price of a starter once you pay the labor to repair the old one.
And lubing the bendix is not a good idea. It may get you through for a little while, but it's only a bandaid and not a fix.

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
Realistically, what should a starter cost. Saw some absurd price on a JDparts site ( $250 )

D

Deleted member 97405

Realistically, what should a starter cost. Saw some absurd price on a JDparts site ( $250 )

Tell the dealer you want the starter through their supplier called A&I. Much cheaper!

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
So dealer said $280 new, $240 refurb...knows not of A+I. Ordered on Amazon for $45.....
Thanks again for your help !

D

Deleted member 97405

So dealer said $280 new, $240 refurb...knows not of A+I. Ordered on Amazon for $45.....
Thanks again for your help !

You're welcome! I guess not all dealers work with that company. If this were my tractor, I would have done exactly as you did.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good luck with a $ 45 cheapie.
Do not be surprised if it packs it in after a few seasons.
The aftermarket parts companies sell guaranteed starters for about 1/2 the price of a new one .
Prime Line has the best range.
I have never had a problem fitting any of their starters.
However the "super Heavy Duty " ones on line, with no makers name or identifing marks on them generally fail in a few seasons.

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
So this weekend I replaced the starter and the same thing is happening. I am starting to question the CCA of the battery but when it does kick the starter on there is plenty of starting power. Confused....

D

Deleted member 97405

So this weekend I replaced the starter and the same thing is happening. I am starting to question the CCA of the battery but when it does kick the starter on there is plenty of starting power. Confused....

I was assuming you had the battery checked before replacing the starter. Have someone test your battery and see how many CCA's are in it. I would recommend 300 CCA's minimum. Also, check your battery cable for corrosion. If the corrosion has gotten to where the terminal end is crimped onto the cable, replace the cable.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Most auto part stores (orielly,autozone,advance,) should be able to test your battery for free.