GATOR BLADES ON A LT155

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
SO I purchased Gator blades in 2017 for my LT155. Since that time the bagging performance has gone down hill. I recently replaced my two year old belt but that didn't seem to help. If I'm cutting say 3" of grass it will clog in 15 yards. I have the tensioner almost to the end, which doesn't seem to ever tighten the belt, belt to me, always felt loose. There is just that spring loaded pulley that keeps the tension but it really doesn't do much tensioning. I think the Gator Blades are too heavy and when under strain slip the belt so they slow down and lift is reduced. Maybe they are intended for commercial type units only. Very frustrated since now I have to go back and buy $70 Deere blades again. And BTW, the Gator Blades were advertised as to stay sharper longer which they do not. I only mow 15000 sq. Ft. once a week and there butter knives every 8 weeks.
Is it just me ?

D

Deleted member 97405

SO I purchased Gator blades in 2017 for my LT155. Since that time the bagging performance has gone down hill. I recently replaced my two year old belt but that didn't seem to help. If I'm cutting say 3" of grass it will clog in 15 yards. I have the tensioner almost to the end, which doesn't seem to ever tighten the belt, belt to me, always felt loose. There is just that spring loaded pulley that keeps the tension but it really doesn't do much tensioning. I think the Gator Blades are too heavy and when under strain slip the belt so they slow down and lift is reduced. Maybe they are intended for commercial type units only. Very frustrated since now I have to go back and buy $70 Deere blades again. And BTW, the Gator Blades were advertised as to stay sharper longer which they do not. I only mow 15000 sq. Ft. once a week and there butter knives every 8 weeks.
Is it just me ?

You are absolutely correct about the Gator blades not performing with the bagger.
Those blades aren't designed to propel the grass up a bagger chute.
They are designed to cut then shred the grass.
A bagger needs a blade with a solid high lift wingtip in order to get the grass up the chute.
I know Deere blades are a bit pricey (I work at a dealership), but those blades are made specifically for their application rather than the generic blades.
Under normal mowing conditions and regular sharpening, you should get several seasons out of a set of blades.

The belts on these units were never really tight.
Over time, the center rod on the tensioner assembly that connects to the tractor would wear a groove in it, which would prevent the spring from applying proper tension.
You would have to replace the assembly.

Another thing to check. Over time, your throttle cable and linkage gets worn. The engine may not be running at full RPM now.
This directly affects blade speed.
Check your RPMs at full throttle.
According to the tech manual for your model, it should be between 3375-3425.

Good luck!

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank-You for your feedback. Ah, confirmation of my suspicions. Headed to the local JD at lunchtime to get the correct LT155 blades. Thanks Again !!

D

Deleted member 97405

Thank-You for your feedback. Ah, confirmation of my suspicions. Headed to the local JD at lunchtime to get the correct LT155 blades. Thanks Again !!

You're welcome! I also updated my original comment to include high RPM specs as that will directly affect your blade tip speed.

dcove

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without a tach, how would I check ?

D

Deleted member 97405

Without a tach, how would I check ?

Unfortunately, there is no way without a tach. See if you can borrow one or offer to buy someone a beer to check it for you. :)

I'm betting the bagger will work once you get the new blades. If it does, I wouldn't worry about the RPMs.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree the gator Blades are heavier, thus making it more force to get them spinning.. I stay away from them, while others may love them..