Rating different lines of JD (this should be a sticky to the top of the forum)

Hitechluddite

Threads
  • / Rating different lines of JD (this should be a sticky to the top of the forum)
I know this may be to some extent a matter of opinion but rating and explaining the major differences in quality in the different product lines would be a very useful guide IMHO
For instance the GT series appears to have a heavier deck than other lines made at the same time
and the LX series has watercooled engines in some models

D

Deleted member 97405

• / Rating different lines of JD (this should be a sticky to the top of the forum)
I know this may be to some extent a matter of opinion but rating and explaining the major differences in quality in the different product lines would be a very useful guide IMHO
For instance the GT series appears to have a heavier deck than other lines made at the same time
and the LX series has watercooled engines in some models

This is a good idea and a good thought, but, having worked at a Deere dealership since 1998, I can tell you, this is a subject better for a book. Everyone has their opinions and thoughts. And then you add those who only know what Google tells them, and then this conversation will turn into a mess in which the actual facts will get lost in the confusion. I would suggest asking questions about a specific series here as it would get out of control in a hurry! Just my $0.02!

Hitechluddite

Threads
Will that book Sounds like a good retirement project for you! ;)

How bout we try to stick to a few rules?

John Deere's target audience when they released them.

MSRP Higher$=Higher Quality. This may not always be the case but it's a good rule...

I'm looking for a 48-54" deck model that has an engine that will provide long life as I have around sunny 4 acres that I have to my in a location that downtime is a real killer. I can easily find 6 different JD lines that fit the bill Manf between mid 80's and late 90's that fall in my price range, which is at the ragged bloody edge of a reasonable amt for such a mower $500-700 I'm hoping for a little help sorting things out :-D

Vigilant

Threads
I have a GT275 which now serves as a spare. It's about 20 years old, still looks great, and is still in top notch shape mechanically except for broken hood hinges. It has a very stout 48" deck, and is powered by the legendary Kawasaki FC540V. No knocks or rattles, and does not use or leak oil. I bought it back in 2007 at a bargain. I paid $970 for it then, and have used it for 11 seasons. I suspect that with proper maintenance, it could run another 20 years without any major repairs. With Deere's outstanding parts system, you should be able to get parts for a GT275 for many years. Check 'em out on Machinery Pete. Good luck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Will that book Sounds like a good retirement project for you! ;)

How bout we try to stick to a few rules?

John Deere's target audience when they released them.

MSRP Higher$=Higher Quality. This may not always be the case but it's a good rule...

I'm looking for a 48-54" deck model that has an engine that will provide long life as I have around sunny 4 acres that I have to my in a location that downtime is a real killer. I can easily find 6 different JD lines that fit the bill Manf between mid 80's and late 90's that fall in my price range, which is at the ragged bloody edge of a reasonable amt for such a mower $500-700 I'm hoping for a little help sorting things out :-D

You used to be able to use Tractordata.com to do this.
It is still there and lists the mowers with their attachments and has the Higher model - lower model feature but they have taken the "price when new" off the site.
This was handy because you then could work out if it was a low end residential or high end commercial.

D

Deleted member 97405

I have a GT275 which now serves as a spare. It's about 20 years old, still looks great, and is still in top notch shape mechanically except for broken hood hinges. It has a very stout 48" deck, and is powered by the legendary Kawasaki FC540V. No knocks or rattles, and does not use or leak oil. I bought it back in 2007 at a bargain. I paid $970 for it then, and have used it for 11 seasons. I suspect that with proper maintenance, it could run another 20 years without any major repairs. With Deere's outstanding parts system, you should be able to get parts for a GT275 for many years. Check 'em out on Machinery Pete. Good luck.

The GT275 was an excellent machine, and there are still many out there running in fine shape. I'm not knocking your machine, but I would like to pass on some information on this series for the original poster.
The early GT series with the black frame was basically an LX series frame with a heavier duty rear, which was it's achilles heel if you had a snowblower or snow blade.
The frame was known to crack and break in front of the rear wheels from the flexing caused by a snowblower or blade.
It seems the transmission was too strong, and the frame would fatigue and crack from the twisting caused by the weight of the front implement and constant changing of direction from forward to reverse while using a blower or blade.
We welded quite a few here at the shop for this very reason.
When looking to buy one of these, check for cracks on the frame. Also check and see if the frame had weld repair done to it.

The later GT series with the green frame could do this as well.

*My suggestion would be to look for a 325 (twin cylinder version, not the older single cylinder version), 335, or the water cooled 345 due to the size of lawn you are looking to mow.

Vigilant, I'm not knocking your machine! I'm only passing this info on for the original poster so he knows to look for that when viewing a used machine.
Hope this info helps, good luck!

Capture2.JPG

Vigilant

Threads
The GT275 was an excellent machine, and there are still many out there running in fine shape. I'm not knocking your machine, but I would like to pass on some information on this series for the original poster.
The early GT series with the black frame was basically an LX series frame with a heavier duty rear, which was it's achilles heel if you had a snowblower or snow blade.
The frame was known to crack and break in front of the rear wheels from the flexing caused by a snowblower or blade.
It seems the transmission was too strong, and the frame would fatigue and crack from the twisting caused by the weight of the front implement and constant changing of direction from forward to reverse while using a blower or blade.
When looking to buy one of these, check for cracks on the frame. Also check and see if the frame had weld repair done to it.

*My suggestion would be to look for a 325 (twin cylinder version, not the older single cylinder version), 335, or the water cooled 345 due to the size of lawn you are looking to mow.

Vigilant, I'm not knocking your machine! I'm only passing this info on for the original poster so he knows to look for that when viewing a used machine.

View attachment 45335

10-4. Good info. Thanks.

Vigilant

Threads

View attachment 45335

You like the 325 better than the X500?

D

Deleted member 97405

You like the 325 better than the X500?

Side by side in great condition, I would pick the 325 over the X500 in a heartbeat, both from a reliability standpoint and also from a technician (DIY) standpoint.
The 325 is also more comfortable to ride on and has a lower center of gravity.
The X series seats are uncomfortable and make you sit higher. (I have a bad lower back)
The mower deck can be removed quicker from a 325 also.
Overall, the 325 is a better built machine when directly compared to the X500.
Don't read me wrong, the X series are great tractors, but this is just my preference.

Hitechluddite

Threads
Thanks for the info on the GT275. The one i looked at had an oil leak ( Maybe at the valve cover gasket and the charge light was lit. ( he said it went away after it ran awhile and I didn't have my Fluke with me to test.

Tonight I'm looking at a LT180 with 300hrs on it.

I have seen a couple ads for a LX188 that said they were watercooled. It looks to be a very small tractor for water cooling but that would be a great benefit.

I've msged with a local guy here that swears by the 430 but that's too rich for me at this time... I'll see if I can find a 325 anywhere near...