Engine sounds like a toy machine gun, starter will not engage

pgtips

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / sounds like a toy machine gun, starter will not engage
Hello,

I hope someone can help, I'm out of my knowledge range with this.

My Honda HF1211, engine GXV340, will not start, the engine will not turn (is not being spun) to fire up.

It just makes a sound like a toy machine gun.

I thought must be battery, so I connected a fully charged spare 12v battery via jump leads (and without) but still the same. Tried 2 other batteries, known good but still same.

Thought it must be solenoid - so I got another but the problem is still the same.

Figured then it must be the starter so I got another one, fitted it up ... but its the same, the problem remains.

I really don't know what to check or do now, the obvious connections I see look clean.

With cover off I can see the starter does not have enough power to lift and engage and spin (see video link).

It really 110% is not battery, I have tried several known good batteries.
Might it still be solenoid? Have I bought a duff starter.

Here is a link to a short video of my issue (a google link) https://photos.app.goo.gl/hwC3AdfQh7osjC9X9.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction, any help would be appreciated so much as I'm really at my wits end with it.

Kev

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like the starter is spinning fast enough. Looks like either the gear is stuck down, or for some crazy reason the starter is turning backwards which will prevent the gear from coming up to engage the flywheel. Battery or wiring not connected backwards is it.

NorthBama

Threads
Looks like the starter is spinning fast enough. Looks like either the gear is stuck down, or for some crazy reason the starter is turning backwards which will prevent the gear from coming up to engage the flywheel. Battery or wiring not connected backwards is it.
yes i have seen one an older gentleman put a new battery in his LT and connected the cables backwards and the starter gear would not rise up to engage the flywheel ring gear.

pgtips

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

it is def the right way round, that was/is the fault.

i.e it has stopped starting and does this now but it worked before.

I notice my replacement solenoid is different to the one on the engine, didn't notice at first it has 2 wires from middle not one so I will order, it may still be a solenoid fault. (hope)

This is what i need (impossible to find one in the UK !). Honda 35850-ZF5-V01 Starter Magnetic Switch Assy For GXV340

Possibly someone could tell me, to test the solenoid I read jumping/bridging the terminals is the way. Is it the 2 big screw lugs that I need to bridge to test ?

gxv340-solenoid.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing first.

Can you rotate the engine by hand pressing on the debris screen ?
If not take the spark plugs out & try again.

Let us know what what you find.

I did supply a starter to a customer than came back "defective" cause it would not spin the engine.
The teeth looked a funny so I swapped the starter for another used one, tested the defective one & it worked fine.
The customer came back claiming the 2nd starter was bad .
I knew this was good as it came from an engine I pulled down.
So I went back to the customers house & found the engine siezed solid and by solid I mean an 8' long bar on the flywheel could not turn over the engine

pgtips

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, yes the engine turns by hand without problem. Compression feels spot on.

Battery (batteries) all fully charged.

the fault as seen in the video existed before I took apart to swap new starter thinking iot was the starter motor itself i.e it was running good (I had to jump it due to onboard battery needs replacing) but then one day it won't lift starter and engage flywheel, spin and fire up. That's my problem. So its not fuel or spark plug etc as I am not that far in the fire up process. The starter at the moment doesn't know if engine turns freely (which it does) as its not lifting and engaging so I figure it can only be starter of solenoid.

I need to test the solenoid today as they are quite pricey and quite hard to get one here in the UK at a sensible price. Does anyone know if the universal ones might interchange ? It is part # Honda-35850-ZF5-V01

NorthBama

Threads
A solenoid is a relay with coil ( small Wires) some have 2 small wires and some only have one small wire and uses the metal mounting bolts for negative ground. The 2 large wires with nut terminals are the heavy amperage relay contacts that close when 12 volts DC is applied to the coil. if the starter is spinning the solenoid contacts are closing to apply power to the starter. Make sure the starter gear moves up the shaft freely and is not hanging up on the starter gear shaft. Any solenoid will work as long as the amperage rating is enough for the starter amperage draw the mounting plate may be different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyZgswc1sB4

pgtips

Forum Newbie
Threads
ah ok that helps, so the 2 wires at the front of mine carry ground ?
gxv340-solenoid-fr.jpg
gxv340-solenoid.jpg

dougand3

Threads
On a typical 4 terminal solenoid - one small wire is +12v from the key switch, other small wire is ground. I don't know the above solenoid but logic dictates the male plug is +12v and the round eye is for a ground under a bolt head.

NorthBama

Threads
On a typical 4 terminal solenoid - one small wire is +12v from the key switch, other small wire is ground. I don't know the above solenoid but logic dictates the male plug is +12v and the round eye is for a ground under a bolt head.

Yes I agree with the above post