So I'm thinking about a mower lift

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before the yard crane, I used a standard engine crane like you would get from Harbour Freight.
Prior to that it was a pulley around a tree branch.
The workshop is on a farm in a flood plane so there are very strict regulations about what can be built.
However because the crane is on wheels there is nothing the local authorities can do about it.

Regulations for that kind of stuff? I've never heard of that. Around here, they wouldn't care what you used.
At my last shop, I had two 2X6's secured to posts. With a come a long in the middle. It worked fine. But it was kind of a pain in reverse with a heavy mower. But it did the trick.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can not put down any more concrete
Can not build an outdoor service facility without building a flood proof oil & grease trap.
Property owner can because his house is above the 100 year max flood level.
My workshop is in his old house which regularly went under.
They have built 20,000 houses in the up stream catchment so floods are more frequent ( when it actually rains ) and there is another 150,000 due to be built.
Australians are the stupidist people on the planet.
The USA would build a new city then connect it to the rest of the state.
We just keep on making the capital cities bigger.
Right now it takes 6 hours to drive the Sydney north to south

WeldGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered a 2000lb wench today. Gonna use it for 1 of 2 things.

A 4 post mower lift, that works off the wench. My idea is similar to a 4 post car lift. Except there won't be as much steel involved. 4X4 wooden corner posts. The wench will be attached just in front of the lift about 3 feet. Cables will be ran along the side of the post, and connected to a single cable that goes to the wench. Of course, the 4X4's will be braced.
The mower wheels will roll up on two 2X6's (Maybe 2X4's). There will be two 4X4's that will go crossways under the 2X6's, to the corner posts. On the ends of those post, will be some sort of wheels. Probably 4" idler pulleys, that will go inside a a track. The 4 cables will be secured to the two 4X4's that run crossways under the 2X6's that the mower sits on, with eye bolts. The cables will also go through other eye bolts up the corner posts, to keep them in place.

Getting the mower up high enough may be a problem. I only have about 10ft from the ground to the roof of the shop. The mower is gonna take up a lot of that. And the cable mounts will take up some room as well.

It's just in the "think about" stages right now.
Dang... how are you going to feed a 2000 pound wench? Maybe a 200 pound wench?
Here's an idea... how about buying a WINCH? LOL

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ordered a 2000lb wench today. Gonna use it for 1 of 2 things.

That's a fairly hefty gal you got ordered. Didn't know you could order a woman online now. I don't want to know what the 1 of 2 things is.

Google "wench" and "winch"

Spelling matters.

Its Me

Threads
[B]PTmowerMech[/B] like you over the years built several but mower are much heavier now so I decided to get the real deal and bought a lift table, I will post a pic of it and the name brand, if you get it dropped off by the freight company where they make local stops I talked them into no shipping charge and the agreed to do so, for a mechanic you think it is better than sliced bread, get one, after a few repairs it is paid for and I put an electric lift above it, cuts down of set up a lot, give them a look, you would love one, Joe
Lawn Mower Lift Table.JPGLawn Mower Lift Table 1.JPG

Ken22

Threads
Dang... how are you going to feed a 2000 pound wench? Maybe a 200 pound wench?
Here's an idea... how about buying a WINCH? LOL
I had a 200 pound wench on my Jeep. She ate to much and was lazy so I bought a winch instead. ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The type lift all depends what you needing to do. I got one those 2 foldable engine cranes but it can be a problem being use for mower work. Still useful for certain projects. Its the stabilizer legs that get in the way. Most time just put the mowers up on jack stands for most work that I need to be under the equipment. What I really needing and am seriously looking at is the 1 ton gantry crane. It help with unloading and loading of generators and also lifting mower for transaxle R&R work. Just don't like the idea of having let it sit outdoors when not in use.

BTW I got to return all my HFT jack stands as they have been recalled.

Ken22

Threads
I doubled 4 ceiling joists in my shed and put a 8' 4×4 across them and mounted a winch to it. I lift what I'm working on and use jack stands. When I work on my ZTR I back up on ramps so the muffler deflector doesn't hit the ground then I lift it. I also built a deck from pallets and 4×4s. I can raise it to the level I need using pallets or my trailer. I move it where I want with my FEL. Crude but works for me.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The new shop came with a 2 post lift with the 4 arms that extend out. I've used it a few times so far. And love it.
Raising them up is is so easy.
I put a push mower on two legs the other day. I usually pick them up and put them on saw horses. Pain in my back.
Gonna see if I can find a way to safely raise a rider using the 4 legs.

BenRichardson

Forum Newbie
Threads
[B]PTmowerMech[/B] like you over the years built several but mower are much heavier now so I decided to get the real deal and bought a lift table, I will post a pic of it and the name brand, if you get it dropped off by the freight company where they make local stops I talked them into no shipping charge and the agreed to do so, for a mechanic you think it is better than sliced bread, get one, after a few repairs it is paid for and I put an electric lift above it, cuts down of set up a lot, give them a look, you would love one, Joe
View attachment 52041View atvachment 52042

Nice choice. My lift has a weight capacity of 1.500 lbs that can stand my bike as well.