Craftman Mower with 16.5hp Honda Engine runs great without (new) air filter but not w

rickbrft

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftman Mower with 16.5hp Honda Engine runs great without (new) air filter but not w
I have a Craftsman riding mower with Honda16.5hp engine(GXV530). The Mower started spitting and sputtering, so I changed plugs, air filter, checked valves, cleaned carb. Put everything back together. Left air filter out to start, and everything seemed fine. Got ready to mow, put (new)air filter in and mower started doing the same thing again. So today I started cutting grass and it just spit and sputtered. I pulled the (new) air filter and it ran like new. So confused. I had some experienced mower repair people talking me through this, but I'm stuck. I can cut with filter out, but I know that is not advisable. Wasn't dusty today. Would appreciate any input.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Craftman Mower with 16.5hp Honda Engine runs great without (new) air filter but not w
Take a close look for any wire or connector that might be in contact with the air cleaner/housing with it in place.

Mikel1

Threads
Running rich would cause it, choke working properly?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the crankcase breather go into the aircleaner base? Might try pulling the hose off that and running the air cleaner in place.

rickbrft

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take a close look for any wire or connector that might be in contact with the air cleaner/housing with it in place.

No wire - it sits in contained compartment with hinged lid and (2) thumb screws to hold it down

rickbrft

Forum Newbie
Threads
Running rich would cause it, choke working properly?

It only does this with air filter in. If I take it out it runs great. Choke seems to be working fine.

rickbrft

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the crankcase breather go into the aircleaner base? Might try pulling the hose off that and running the air cleaner in place.

Yes, it does. I pulled it off at the air cleaner and it still spits and sputters. Blows a little black smoke when it sputters.

MowLife

Threads
I have run a cross a motor that did as you described and it ended up being the valve lash was so far out that the valves were not opening enough to breath. Not saying this is your problem but something to look at.

rickbrft

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have run a cross a motor that did as you described and it ended up being the valve lash was so far out that the valves were not opening enough to breath. Not saying this is your problem but something to look at.

But with the filter out it runs like new. Could that still be the problem?

Mikel1

Threads
It only does this with air filter in. If I take it out it runs great. Choke seems to be working fine.
I understand, I'm saying it's running too rich and that is why it runs good without the air filter on. With the restriction of the air filter on, it causes it too run even richer.