MTD RZT54 Drive Belt Replacement issues

Threads
I have a MTD Gold RZT54 (54" zero turn) and the drive belt that runs the hydraulic motors has broken and failed. I have purchased a new belt but the new belt conflicts with the hydraulic hose powering the two hydraulic motors. Most u-tube videos showing the similar Cub Cadet do not show these hydraulic lines. No mater how I install the belt it will rub directly on the hydraulic lines. What am I missing here ? Do I need to unhook the hydraulic line ? I have done searches but found nothing.

NorthBama

Threads
you will need to post the model number please

Threads
The model number of my 2012 MTD Zero Turn (RZT 54, Gold, 54") is 17AF2ACK004. I could really use some help with this issue. I am hoping it is something simple, but my grass is getting higher each day ! I removed the tension spring, and unhooked and removed the clutch, but I cannot see a way to mount that that belt back on the pulleys without seriously rubbing the hydraulic lines. Help !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What you are saying conflicts with what is shown in the manuals & parts books.
They show 2 self contained pump/motor modules thus no hydraulic hoses anywhere.
So we really need some photos of what you are seeing under your mower.
The belt should be a plain triangle engine - left drive - right drive - engine with the tension pulley running on the back of the belt between the engine & left drive pushing the belt in towards the centre.

Threads
What you are saying conflicts with what is shown in the manuals & parts books.
They show 2 self contained pump/motor modules thus no hydraulic hoses anywhere.
So we really need some photos of what you are seeing under your mower.
The belt should be a plain triangle engine - left drive - right drive - engine with the tension pulley running on the back of the belt between the engine & left drive pushing the belt in towards the centre.

Sorry. It is taking a while to get my photos to upload. The hydraulic pulleys are in front at the normal locations. The clutch has been removed and their is an idler puller on the left side (with spring removed). Everything is as you describe with the exception of this hydraulic line running straight down from a reservoir tank under the seat. The line runs straight down and then tee's off going parallel to each hydraulic drive motor.

I purchased it new from MTD so I know it has not been modified. Somehow the belt has to go around that hydraulic line in order to mount as described.

Attachments

• 20190818_092410_resized.jpg
    20190818_092410_resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6
Threads
Sorry. It is taking a while to get my photos to upload. The hydraulic pulleys are in front at the normal locations. The clutch has been removed and their is an idler puller on the left side (with spring removed). Everything is as you describe with the exception of this hydraulic line running straight down from a reservoir tank under the seat. The line runs straight down and then tee's off going parallel to each hydraulic drive motor.

I purchased it new from MTD so I know it has not been modified. Somehow the belt has to go around that hydraulic line in order to mount as described.

I tried to upload 4 photos, but only one appear to have made the post. I will try again.20190816_151435.jpg20190818_092357_resized.jpg20190818_092328_resized.jpg20190818_092410_resized.jpg

Here they are. The belt must go around the vertical hydraulic line. That would mean unhooking it and emptying the tank, I don't know if the hose is pressed on or attached with a fitting. Sounds like a mess.

My manual calls the tank an expansion tank. It says only the RZT 54" have the expansion tank. (I have been calling it a hydraulic fluid reservoir, apparently it is an expansion tank.)The blue belt shown in the photos is the new belt just laying up on top after trying every belt configuration I could think of. The "Operation Manual" just says to take the mower to a dealer for replacement of the drive belt... no clues.

Last edited:
Threads
So... it is not a hydraulic tank (like possibly under pressure), but it a fluid expansion reservoir... I will see if the hoses will pull apart. I would consider cutting the hose to get belt the belt on, and then reconnecting with a coupler, but I don't like the idea of those rubber shavings (while I am sawing) falling down into the hydraulic motors... They might just pull apart... but I doubt it. I will return !

Stop me before I do something that I will regret...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would bet the expansion tank has a nipple on the bottom that the hose would pull off of. And then install the belt and then reconnect the hose to the tank and refill the tank. the parts diagram shows the vent line that would go to the expansion tank in the center of the belt

Threads
Re: MTD RZT54 Drive Belt Replacement issues with Expansion Tank !!

I would bet the expansion tank has a nipple on the bottom that the hose would pull off of. And then install the belt and then reconnect the hose to the tank and refill the tank. the parts diagram shows the vent line that would go to the expansion tank in the center of the belt[/QUO

Okay. Here it is... The RZT 54 Cub or MTD 54 Gold has an expansion tank attached to the hydraulic motors that can be a PITA to install a new drive belt.... Since this tank is not under pressure... Simply close the compression clamp on the hose on each of the hydraulic motors, move it over and manually unhook the line. Clean any minor oil spills from the line, slide the new drive belt over the necessary pullies and reattach the "expansion lines" with the compression clamps... install the new bolt and hoo20190818_115803_resized.jpg20190818_115813_resized.jpgk up the clutch and tension spring. Add maybe a quarter of cup of 20w -50w (that leaked out) and Done, contact me with questions. Thank you !

Last edited: