John Deere d110 stall after 15 minutes

Jack55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All
I am new to the forum and I’m having a problem with my John Deere d110 tractor. The problem is after its running for about 15 minutes it starts surging like its running out of gas. After the first time it happened, I filled the tank , but I still had the same problem. It has 50 hours on it and I’ve changed all filters, spark plug, fuel pump and changed the oil. Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

D

Deleted member 97405

Check the last 6 digits of your serial number.
The sticker is located above the left rear wheel on the frame under the fender.
If the number is LESS THAN 200,000, the fuel cap has a vent hole in the center.
Make sure that it is not plugged.
That was a common issue on these units, and it creates exactly the problem you are having because the tank won't be able to breathe.
Once the tank creates the vacuum(due to lack of venting), the fuel pump won't be able to pump fuel.

Other things I have found over the years are:
1. a pinched fuel line
2. grass or bug bodies getting sucked up into the pickup tube and fuel lines and creating an obstruction
3. a fuel shut-off solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor going bad (although this is usually the least common issue)

Jack55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will
Thank you for your reply. I checked my serial number and in starts off at 500, 000. I had previously checked the cap but could find a small vent. I will check the other items you had mentioned. Thanks again. I’ll report back i

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nearly all of the runs for "X" minutes then splutters & stops that come into my shop are because of No2 on Will's hit parade
Easy way to check for it is to remove the fuel cap then the fuel line before the first element ( filter or pump ) and blow back into the tank hard.
If the mower then runs better ( X + Y minutes ) then it is clean the tank time.

Jack55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply. I have been using premium fuel with the proper additives. It will run fine , but then after a few minutes
It surges like it’s running out of fuel. If I let it sit for a minute, it will start but then after a minute will start the same thing over again

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
YEs that is exactly what happens when you have a plug of debris stuck in the fuel outlet, or water build up in the bottom of the float bowl.
It has nothing to do with what grade of fuel your are using.
It is the stuff that falls into the tank every time you takee the cap off, dust in the air that gets drawn into the tank when running and crud in the bottom of the can you carry the fuel in.

Jack55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I’ll be checking the fuel lines out