How to rewind the starter spring on this old edger? Maybe 50 years old

fastbroshi

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to rewind the starter spring on this old edger? Maybe 50 years old
Hello All,

I picked up this old B&S edger a couple weeks ago. I went to start it today and the damn starter rope ripped in two. So I went about taking off the outside cover pictured here in the vise to go about replacing it. I'd try to identify it but after scraping and cleaning a lot of the crud off I can't find any ID anywhere. Stickers are all gone or painted over, and I can't find any serial numbers anywhere. After an an internet search I'm pretty sure it's a B&S, maybe a 2.5hp model.
While trying to get the rope fed back through on the reel, of course the spring unreeled itself out and now I have to figure out how to get it back in. After an hour of messing with it, I figured I better ask the masses if they know how to do it.

tv2lo4ul.jpg

iJzZ3onl.jpg

For reference, the cover looks a lot like this when in place (not mine pictured):
xBETFetl.jpg

Any idea how to do it? Or exactly what model this is, should I ever need any parts?

Thanks!

Russ2251

Threads
For model/serial follow arrows:
serial model location.jpg

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think Briggs and Stratton used stickers for ID numbers back in the old days. Look close on the sheet metal; there are small, stamped numbers on there somewhere. In this case, I don't think you really need them but you will want them for future reference if you need parts, etc.

In the second photo, I can't make out what I'm seeing. Have you removed anything, such as the spool that holds the rope? There should be a hub with a square hole that slides over that clutch mechanism that attaches to the crankshaft and holds the flywheel on.

• If the spring is broken, replace it.
  • Install the spring under the spool that holds the rope. Install the spool in the blower housing. Don't try to rewind it.
  • Cut a new rope to length and install the handle on the rope. Leave the rope out for now.
  • Wind the spool in the direction the rope will pull it until the hole for the rope in the spool lines up with where the rope comes through the blower housing. (This will take several turns until you get enough tension for the spring to rewind the rope completely.)
  • Thread the rope through the housing and hole in the spool and tie a knot in the end. Release the spool and let the spring pull the rope into the blower housing.

Romore

Threads
As he said use the pulley to pull the spring into the housing, I made a tool using an old starter clutch hub. Once in keep rotating the pulley until it reaches the end of it's travel. Now comes the tricky part. Back the pulley off 1 turn then align the hole with the rope guide.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless he has a method to hold the pulley and spring in the housing, it may not be worth the time and effort. If you will notice that the pulley hold downs are missing. Just winding in a spring and hoping the starter clutch will hold it in place will quickly result in a broken spring.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rivets the hold downs are there at the 12 and 5:30 positions with the white low friction sleeves on them standing straight up. OP needs to reinstall the pulley and bent the hold downs back into place and then slide the spring in through the slot on the side of the starter housing and hooking into the slot on the side of the starter pulley and wind the spring in by turning the pulley. I made a winding tool years ago with a I believe is a 3/4 inch square piece of wood. Has served me great over the years.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks IL for correcting me again. I missed them.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks IL for correcting me again. I missed them.

The angle of the picture makes it look like they are broke off. Have to blow the picture up to see them.

fastbroshi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow, it hasn't even been a full day and look at all these replies! Thanks a lot you guys. :thumbsup:

Yes, the hold downs for the pulley are bent up to allow removal of the pulley. I can confirm there are two holes for the end of the spring to fit into. I'll go back over your replies to see if it makes sense to me after looking at it again. I'll update this tomorrow.