Blades won't stay engaged

loggerhead12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got an HRC2163HXA that's about 10 years old. My kids have used it to do 3-5 lawns per week all summer for the past two years. The Honda dealer services it every year at the beginning of the season.

In the past couple of weeks it's had a hard time keeping the blades spinning. They would spin up but stop the moment they hit grass. A ten year old mower with moderately heavy use probably needs a new clutch, right? So now it has a new driven disk, spring, and blade holder to boot.

It's still doing the same thing. As soon as it hits unmowed grass the blades slow down and stop. I backed it off the grass and it spins back up. If you engage the blades and let it set there they will spin for a while, then slow to a stop, then slowly spin back up, then stop.

What's the next logical thing to check? It starts easily on the first pull and seems to run fine.

HurstGN

Threads
Might check to see that the cable hasn't stretched and is in need of an adjustment. If the cable is fine, then sounds like a new clutch is in order. Just my thoughts. I'm sure the experts will eventually provide more detail.

loggerhead12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. The cable is adjusted to about an inch of play. The clutch was changed out yesterday.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
adjust roto stop cable item 11 per instructions in operators manual, check other cables for adjustment.