Help with Stihl 08 S

dtba

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help me. I got a old Stihl from a friend that passed away. He gave it to me with no chain.

I am looking for a replacement chain that I can order online as I have no shops near me that stock them.

So far from the bar I can see its a 43Cm (29215 code stamped of the bar)

What size chain am I looking for? I tried Stihl website but can't find anything.

I would have to either order stihl or a Oregon chain.

Thank you

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help me. I got a old Stihl from a friend that passed away. He gave it to me with no chain.

I am looking for a replacement chain that I can order online as I have no shops near me that stock them.

So far from the bar I can see its a 43Cm (29215 code stamped of the bar)

What size chain am I looking for? I tried Stihl website but can't find anything.

I would have to either order stihl or a Oregon chain.

Thank you

Saw's will have different bar lengths....so check before you order, 43Cm = 16in......... you can start here...... https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/stihl...MIo_ziq6-H5AIVGeDtCh2xOA4WEAQYASABEgK-9PD_BwE

dtba

Forum Newbie
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a very old and quite dangerous saw.
They were made illegal in the 90's because there is no chain brake.
They are also a very good saw, one of the best Stihl even made.
Known by their name "Lightning" came in 3 sizes 07 08 & 09.
The 08 came standard with either a 17" ,21" or 25" bar.
Bad news is they also came with either a 3/8 or 404 pitch both with the same gauge of .063
Fellers used to fit them with full 1/2" chain for cutting Aussie hard woods.
Mine came like that but the full chisel 1/2' chain was an accident waiting to happen.
Bar length is from the end of the mounting groove to the tip, not end to end so a 17" bar will be 21" end to end.
I would suggest getting a new sprocket & 3 new chains.
Keep the chains in a tub with oil in it enough to just submerge the chains and when one id blunt, swap it for a sharp one.
When all 3 chains are worn out it will be time for a new sprocket.
Before you go spending too much money check that the oiler is working.
The oil pump was their weak spot.
Great saws I go one with a 25" solid bar on it and it just eats trees but it is a heavy mother to use.

dtba

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is a very old and quite dangerous saw.
They were made illegal in the 90's because there is no chain brake.
They are also a very good saw, one of the best Stihl even made.
Known by their name "Lightning" came in 3 sizes 07 08 & 09.
The 08 came standard with either a 17" ,21" or 25" bar.
Bad news is they also came with either a 3/8 or 404 pitch both with the same gauge of .063
Fellers used to fit them with full 1/2" chain for cutting Aussie hard woods.
Mine came like that but the full chisel 1/2' chain was an accident waiting to happen.
Bar length is from the end of the mounting groove to the tip, not end to end so a 17" bar will be 21" end to end.
I would suggest getting a new sprocket & 3 new chains.
Keep the chains in a tub with oil in it enough to just submerge the chains and when one id blunt, swap it for a sharp one.
When all 3 chains are worn out it will be time for a new sprocket.
Before you go spending too much money check that the oiler is working.
The oil pump was their weak spot.
Great saws I go one with a 25" solid bar on it and it just eats trees but it is a heavy mother to use.

I just double checked it has a 404 sprocket with 17" bar.
Oiler is working 100%. Also did any of them included a chain brake? As mine has it ( big black bar thingy you can pull or push to lock it in)?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just double checked it has a 404 sprocket with 17" bar.
Oiler is working 100%. Also did any of them included a chain brake? As mine has it ( big black bar thingy you can pull or push to lock it in)?

Not as far as I know . But the 088 has a brake.
The 07, 08 ,09 are from the "he man" era , no brake, no anti vibration , no heater & points ignition and lots of one armed old men with thrombosis in their hands wrist & arms.
The Stihl chain loop is 3960-000-0060 and it will come with a warning that it is not a compliant low kick back chain
Because they are very much obsolete ( but will run forever ) there is no Oregon precut chain loop for them.
So if you want Oregon chain you will need to get them made .
They should have 60 drive links
Oregon do not do a low kick back .404 chain either.
If you go down to 3/8 chain there are a lot more chain choices.
404 is a PROFESSIONAL timber workers chain, and pros buy their chain in rolls and make them up.

If you want to get close & personal with the saw try this group http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3734
Every thing you ever could be likely to ever want to know about your dad's 08 is here .
Nice people if not just a little on the fanatical side.
These saws still pull $ 1000 on the used market if they are genuine.
However because this is such a good saw after market parts for it are still being made in China and you can buy a complete saw in parts
Thus you see a lot of "fully restored" Lightnings that are of course counterfit .

Romore

Threads
You have a later model with the chain brake which is good. The 08S was popular here with firewood cutters and orchardists but I only saw them with 3/8 chain. A 3/8 60dl chain would be correct for your bar, .404 would be around 56dl.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a later model with the chain brake which is good. The 08S was popular here with firewood cutters and orchardists but I only saw them with 3/8 chain. A 3/8 60dl chain would be correct for your bar, .404 would be around 56dl.

Thanks , never seen one with a brake.
Always assumed they were replaced with a MS series when updated with a brake.

The .404 chain is listed as 60 DL in the Stihl chain manual that I have.
In fact the 3/8 is listed as 66 DL see page below.
stihl chain.jpg

The Caveat on this is it assumes you are using the Stihl bar the saw was supplied with.
If you have a different bar then the chain could be longer if the bar is taller or shorter is the bar is narrower.
These saws were regularly fitted with hard nose bars used for plunge cutting into big trees and their chain length is different again.

If it were me. I would drop it off at your local saw shop, get them to check the sprocket & fit a new chain.
Once you get it home pull the chain off and count the drive links.

The bar number is not a current Stihl bar code number but they have changed it a few times over the decades.
If you go to the chain saw collectors site linked to in a previous answer and ask there, they will be able to tell you if that is a Stihl bar and if so decode it, in fact they have managed to decode every bar that I have thrown at them