Homeowner considering Lazer Z

mooch91

Threads
All,

I cut close to 2 acres weekly, usually twice per week. I'm cutting higher quality northern turf, primarily a mix of tall fescue and kentucky bluegrass. My primary goal is quality of cut (lawn care is a hobby), secondary is speed (since I'm cutting so often).

I've owned two yellow brand lawn mowers: one an entry level residential, the other high-end residential; both 54". I traded the first to buy the second after a year because I was disappointed with quality of cut. I just sold the second after 4 years - cut much better, but I believe it was part of the reason I was cutting twice per week; it just couldn't handle the volume of clippings when I let it go for 7 days.

I'm currently demo'ing a Lazer Z E-series 60". I haven't tried it on any growth yet, but just breezing around the yard, I can tell this mower is a beast. Speed is tremendous and the FX751V Kawasaki is super strong. It makes my former mowers feel like toys.

If it cuts as well as I'm hoping, I will want to buy.

Issue I have is that the 60" is too big for the door on my storage shed. So I'll have to step down to the 52". I won't be able to try out the 52" before buying since the dealer doesn't have a demo in that size.

Here is where it gets interesting. When I compare specs on the Lazer Z E-series, I notice that the 52" model shows a lower ground speed, 8 mph vs. 10 mph for the 60". My former mower was an 8 mph mower at 54". So on paper, the Lazer isn't going to get me done any faster, with 2" narrower deck width and same top speed. I was so excited at the speed of the 60".

Am I overthinking the specs on this? If it's a stronger motor (my old mower was an FR691V), I would think more of that power will be going in to turning the blades for a better cut. Plus, I'm thinking if it cuts taller grass better, I should be able to reduce the total number of cuts per week which is an advantage. And less power will be sapped by thick grass and hills, so it should be able to reach that 8 mph top speed under more conditions than my old mower.

Since I want this to be my last mower purchase, I'm trying to do it right and do my research in advance. I am planning on trying at least one more mower - a Scag Tiger Cat II for comparison as it seems to have similar specs.

Thoughts appreciated, thanks. Need to make a decision within the next week as my old mower is gone.

Pic for attention.

Attachments

• IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MowLife

Threads
I have a exmark 60” model and used a 48” for years. They are beasts as you mentioned and well built to last for years. Many sealed bearings cuts back on maintenance and they hold up great with commercial use. As far as ground speed they are pretty fast but you can’t cut grass at full speed. The fastest mower I’ve used that actually cuts grass fast was the older Hustler super z’s.....they had a lot faster blade tip and transport speed.