Murray 30"/10hp

RobG001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,
I've had a Murray for a few years and starting last year it felt like the drive belt was slipping, as the mower struggled to drive up any sort of slope, especially gears 3, 4, 5...
This year the problem continued until the belt snapped. Indeed it was quite warn.
I replaced the belt thinking that would sort the problem, but alas no!

Could the problem actually be in the Trans-axle?

I recall when I first got the mower (2nd hand) it would readily lift the front wheels if the clutch were released too abruptly but now - no such sparkling performance!

Any thoughts would be more than welcome.
Kindest regards
Rob

MowLife

Threads
I believe your model has 2 drive belts. If it’s a shift on the go type it has a vari drive type clutch which both belts need to be changed at same time.

RobG001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you MowLife. Indeed it does have 2 belts. The 2nd belt drives the cutting blade, which runs up and works fine. I'm not sure how it affects the propulsion system, can you explain?

Thanks
Rob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please supply us with the model and serial numbers so we can see which unit you have.

MowLife

Threads
If you indeed have only one drive belt (motor to transaxle) then disregard my earlier post. As rivets suggested....providing a model number will keep us from guessing your setup and giving wrong info on the problem.

RobG001

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi guys, sorry for the delay...
The Mower model is 3050X92
The Transaxle is a Dana Model 4450-1

I wonder if the clutch is not engaging fully, I wonder if that may/could provide the same symptoms?
Is that adjustable?, is it likely?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

All the best
Rob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More than likely the shift keys need to be replaced, after 20+ years of service they are worn out. This will entail pulling the transmission and rebuilding. Unless you have at least a high average of mechanical skills I won’t suggest you attempt this. This manual will show what’s all involved. The Peerless 800 series is almost the same as your Dana. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...FFERENTIALS-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-691218.pdf

RobG001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rivets,
re "the shift keys need to be replaced"... Thank you for this idea. I'm not as mechanically gifted as some I know but I can usually hold my own! and am happy to strip down the transmission.
The **** keys as I understand it is in effect the gear selector mechanism. If this is the case, I can indeed select any gear, forward or reverse just fine. It's just the power is not being transmitted through the drive train.
Would the shift keys issue you are thinking about present the symptoms I mentioned? I just like to think before jumping head-long in...

Thanks again
Rob