6.5hp Toro Oil Leak

aldumoul

Threads
Hi everybody! I have an oil leak and I'm not sure where it is coming from. When I add oil, it takes an hour or so and I'm back to the 'add' level on the dipstick. There is a little bit underneath the crank case/on top of the mower deck. Do you think it is coming from the breather gasket, the round disk?

IMG_5034[1].jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could be,
One question to clear it up is it leaking out while running only, or leaks when not in use? thing to do is CLEAN everything free of grime and grass that will make it easier to pinpoint.

aldumoul

Threads
I will degrease it tomorrow. It leaks when it is not running.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Judging from the baked on oil & grime on top of that engine I would be suspecting the top oil seal.

upupandaway

Threads
Judging from the baked on oil & grime on top of that engine I would be suspecting the top oil seal.

This Tecumseh sump leak sump gasket seems pretty common as i have come accross a few of these along with (just the other day) a craftsman with the same motor and problem. If i read the SN's right, the gasket seems to blow at 9 years.

aldumoul

Threads
Is the top seal the round pc/part of the breather?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The top seal is underneath the flywheel.

tadawson

Threads
Top seal is on the crankshaft under the flywheel, bottom seal is on the crankshaft where it exits the bottom of the engine.

If I hear you right that it leaks when *NOT* running, that pretty much isolates it to just the suff below the oil level - bottom seal, case gasket, PTO shaft gasket (if it has one) etc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Top seal is on the crankshaft under the flywheel, bottom seal is on the crankshaft where it exits the bottom of the engine.

If I hear you right that it leaks when *NOT* running, that pretty much isolates it to just the suff below the oil level - bottom seal, case gasket, PTO shaft gasket (if it has one) etc.

Not really.
If the top of the engine has puddles of oil on it these will make their way down the to the bottom of the engine when not in use.
You would be right if the engine was fully degreased and you inspected the engine as soon as it stops.