Repairs Toro Recycler Sluggish

MitchConner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have noticed that my 22" Toro Recycler mower does not start like it used to and does not have the power it used to as well. It has been a great mower. What steps should I look at to get this mower running like new again?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With about 50 versions of the Toro Recycler, we need the model and serial numbers to know which one you have.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do a full tune up including adjusting the valve lash.
You will probably fing the inlet has opened up and the exhaust has closed down.

We will need to know the engine type and numbers if you want us to give you the specifications.

OTOH there should be a number starting with 2 on a tag somewhere.
Go to the Toro web page and using that number in the support section download your manuals.
Toro have all of their Owners, Parts & Service manuals on line as a free download. all you have to do is find the right one.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a 2009 Briggs engine, model 126T02-0220 L-head engine. Having worked on a few of those in the pass I’ll bet two things will solve your two problems. First, clean and rebuild the carb with a new float, float needle and seat. This should solve your starting problem. Second, just above the primer bulb you will see a metal bracket with a hole in it. There should be a governor spring attached here. Start the engine and with a needle nose pliers slowly pull out on this hole. (Don’t know how to better describe it). The engine speed should slowly increase, to give you more power, but don’t over do it.

MitchConner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a new carburetor yesterday. I never did this before. Are there any videos that guide you through the process?

MitchConner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I think I ordered the wrong carburetor. Anyways I decided to drain the gas clean the carb. I put non ethanol gas with a bit of sea foam. Also have a new spark plug and air filter. Ran great yesterday as my son cut the yard. ?

pmcguire

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know a lot about these things but I am learning. I was thinking the same thing about replacing the spark plug and adding Sea Foam to your gas can. I did this recently for my Craftsman gas engine weed eater and the difference with the engine start was amazing. One pull and away it went. Previously I had to use starter fluid to spray on it to get it going. Runs like new again. Sea Foam is one of the best out there. I use it in the gas for my Lawn Boy Medallion Commercial Lawn mower with Briggs engine too that I just bought used off Craigslist. Engine starts with 1 pull every time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I think I ordered the wrong carburetor. Anyways I decided to drain the gas clean the carb. I put non ethanol gas with a bit of sea foam. Also have a new spark plug and air filter. Ran great yesterday as my son cut the yard. 

Modern fuels are conductive at compression pressures.
Modern plugs do not have glaze on the centre electrode insulator.
Thus it takes very little fuel to make a conducive path down the insulator & the plug won't spark.
This is the origin of the "Dead right out the box" spark plug syndrome.
Every idiot moron on face book yells & screams about a spark plug conspiracy to force you to use really expensive plugs when it is the junk fuel all along.
Apparently it take less brain cells to fabricate a fantasy than to understand the facts.