They won. I give

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The gravely spindles with the pulley's welded onto them, I spent all day making a chuck to fit the two slots at the bottom. I took a thick washer, drilled two holes in them. Then took a couple of allen head screws and welded them into the holes. Then grinded the two sides off of a big nut (one that fits a 15/16th socket. Drilled out the hole. Put it on the spindle assembly so that the two screws would fit into the slots right. Then welded it all together.

Everything fit like a glove. Put my two long bolts through the pulley holes into the assembly mounting holes, and put the torch to it. After heating up for a while, I put the 1/2" impact on it, and it barely moved. I got it off. But it took every bit of 15 minutes getting it loose. At one point, after it had backed away from the housing far enough, I had to put a small pipe wrench on it. That impact just wasn't cutting it. I noticed, the pulley was a little boogered up from the bolts keeping it from spinning.

After getting everything apart and replacing the bearings, I tried to screw the nut back onto the spindle. And it was just as tight going on, as it was getting off.

GravelyChuck.jpg
GravelyChuck2.jpg

Last edited:

MowLife

Threads
That was pretty creative with the tool you made.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That was pretty creative with the tool you made.

Thank you. It took me longer to think about what I needed to use, than getting it ready.

I've forgotten who told me, but I was told that once it started backing off, the nut should be free'd up enough to screw off with my fingers? Well, it wasn't that way with the nuts that hold the blades on. And it wasn't that way with the nut that sinks into the housing. Even inch was a fight with both.

I'm surprised someone hasn't found a different spindle from a different mower all together, that'll work on this. Especially since these spindle assemblies are still $80 each.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are replacement spindles made the same? Only two types I've seen have the pulley either welded on, real cheap deal there, or bolted with a sleeve through the spindle to space the bearings. Take off the nut, tap out the shaft and blade attachment bracket.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are replacement spindles made the same? Only two types I've seen have the pulley either welded on, real cheap deal there, or bolted with a sleeve through the spindle to space the bearings. Take off the nut, tap out the shaft and blade attachment bracket.

THE only replacements I've seen online have been OEM. Being this mower is about 5 years old, I'm surprised there's not cheaper aftermarket spindles available yet. I'm sure their will be. Probably the day after my $80's ones come and get installed. (my luck)

I just don't get why the bolts (even the sleave'd ones that hold the bottom bearing up) were extremely tight to get all, all the way to the end of the threads. Seriously, I was only able to take them off by hand, AFTER the but only had a 1/2 of the threads left to turn.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the threads were wrong or they were installed with a massive air wrench that over torques & stretched them.
IT takes a long time for an aftermarket part to hit the shelves and remember the second biggest is Stens and they are owned by Ariens who also own Gravely so I can't see them hitting the market any time soon.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the threads were wrong or they were installed with a massive air wrench that over torques & stretched them.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The threads on the nuts themselves. I might see if a nut from a different spindle will go on easier. That would explain a lot. I have some extra's lying around.