Star blade adaptor sheared, can't remove the blade

mdkf

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to replace the blade adaptor on my Craftsman/Husqvarna mower. The star shape has worn away on the adaptor leaving the blade free spinning. How do i remove the blade and adaptor without a way to keep the shaft from spinning? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The star shape is in the spindle so the entire spindle will need to be replaced
As suck it is now a throw away item ( makes a good drift ) so you can grab the end with a pipe wrench or weld the blade , which is also throw away to the spindle .
Once the top nut is off the spindle drifts out to the bottom
While it is out, replace the two bearings as well 6203 top & 6204 bottom.
Get them from a mower shop or bearing shop to make sure you do not end up using shopping trolley grade bearings that are all over the web cheap cheap.
Leave the housing in place.
They generally break when you try to remove them.

Romore

Threads
If it is a walk behind borrow or rent an impact gun to remoVe the bolt. Install the bolt at the proper torque, do NOT use the impact.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is a walk behind borrow or rent an impact gun to remoVe the bolt. Install the bolt at the proper torque, do NOT use the impact.

Off course, I keep forgetting you lot got stuck with those rubbish bar blades on push mowers.
And naturally the OP could not be bothered to post a model number & I assumed it was a ride on .
So if my reply does not make sense you will know why.

mdkf

Forum Newbie
Threads
And naturally the OP could not be bothered to post a model number & I assumed it was a ride on .
Sorry, it's an 8 year-old RWD walk-behind, figured it didn't matter for this question.
thanks for the advice. I don't have an impact wrench, So i'll try a strap wrench, but I don't think its going to grip well enough.