Bahia Grass in the Southern US Comparison

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see numerous posts of people asking about mowers, cut quality ect. One conclusion I have come up with is area a person lives and grass being cut as one reason I see so many different conclusions on what is better. Down here where we live we cut tremendous amounts of Pensacola Bahia Grass on 14 day rotations. In many areas of the country that would be unheard of apparently. in 14 days during our rainy season at times it is like mowing hay fields.

How many of you guys have experience cutting Bahia Grass and if you are from different areas of the world what do you have that is a beast to deal with in the middle of the season.

My experience has always been Scag's Velocity Deck is top of the line under the conditions we normally have to operate under. I also run a 72" Land Pride finish mower on acreage with my 3540 Kubota Tractor because it has AC.

I downsized dramatically last year in my business. I dropped 3 Tiger Cat Scags and approximately 85 properties from 15 acres down. I still maintain several properties of several acres each and a few small ones as well.

Share with me if you would your experiences on such cutting particularly Bahia Grass or something equivalent in your area.

Thanks.

MowLife

Threads
We cut Bahia daily in my area. My scag walk behind seems to do best but it’s only a 48”. I use gator blades on all my mowers with a discharging 90% of the time and mulch a few accounts. My exmark does fair on Bahia but I think I have a slower blade speed on it compared to the scag. Bahia is tough grass and dull blades quickly as you probably know...I change/sharpen my blades about every 10hrs

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of the accounts in our part of the world are 4 day accounts and we can only wish we got 10 hours out of a blade sharpening.