Very hard shifting

lemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Partner P12597. I guess it is the same as a Poulon in the US.

Nevermind the brand of the mower, the rearaxle is a 6 speed Tecumseh/Peerless product.

More precise:
Tecumseh / Peerless
8035B – 0343
model spec
H MST – 205 – 544C

The thing shfts OK between neutral and first gear; and between neutral and reverse.
So that's what I use now so I can cut the grass.
But it is very difficult to shift to second or higher gears and even harder to shift back!

What I found out is that there is a mistake in the norwegian manual. There is writen that it is OK to shift up and down without using the clutch and even under load!
That is wrong. But it could be the reason of my trouble now.
I'm afraid that I have to open the tranny/axle to find out what's wrong........but......time is a problem.

So I found a axle for sale which is from a Viking Cyclon. Type of this as is: MST-205-535F
Is this axle useable for this mower? Somebody who is familiar with the MST code?

Tips what could be wrong with my own axle are welcome too of course!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Download the parts diagram for you old transmission.
You will see 2 "shift keys"
these lock one ( hopefully ) gear on the layshaft to the layshaft and allow all of the other to spin freely.
Shifting on the go generally breaks the heads off the shift keys ) if you are lucky ) and if you are unlucky it locks 2 adjacent gears to the lay shaft.
Naturally the layshaft can not turn at two different speeds at the same time and one of the gears can break teeth or completely break apart.

If your English is reasonable download the Tecumseh/Peerless transmission repair manual.
It is everywhere on the web.
I got mine from here https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/.
They give reasonable service when ordering spares from them as well.

Because Tecumseh went bankrupt a lot of the larger internet retailers will simply list all parts as NLA but most mower shops can get them and I get a fair bit from the UK, Just a pleasant Sunday afternoon drive from your place ( more fun on a motorcycle ) .

These are constant mesh gearboxes so every pair of gears is in contact with each other & always spinning . but only 1 gear should be locked into the output shaft at any time, or it goes bang & then dosen't.

The MST miht work for you but the big problem is indexing the gear positions so that the shift keys are as already mentioned only ever connecting one gear to the layshaft at any one time.
Different linkages on different mowers move the shifting lever different lengths .
Some boxes has a stiff indexing mechanism so there is little to no shift gate on the mower while others have minimal shift indexing in the box and rely on the gate in the mower to keep the lever in the right position.

lemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bertsmobile1 Very sorry, I really forgot this.
I stored the mower away, bought a second walk-behind-mower. So my wife and I had a good exercise!
And I really forgot the whole problem, and even worse forgotten to thank you for the info!
My property is not flat at all, so the sit on top mower is sometimes scary. (maybe even dangerous)
So the walk behinds is not a bad idea either.

BUT! The partner is still standing, and I still want to repair it. Just because I will. I will know (learn) what is wrong.
I have little hope that will be in the summer 2024. I keep you updated when I start the job.

Again, thank you very much and sorry for the insane late respons!