TORO SS4235 Z-turn Drive belt seems too Long ?

captbruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
New to the FORUM.

I have had a TORO Time Cutter SS4235 (Z-turn) for 2 years now. (model # 74627)
I replaced the Drive Belt when I got it because a (warped) "Idler Pulley" kept throwing the belt.
I replaced the idler Pulley and the Drive belt, and it's been great for two years.
While I was at it I replaced all the Mower Deck pulleys and Belt too.
I mow my 1-1/2 acres with two homes on it every week.

This morning it stopped dead and I saw it needed a new "Drive Pulley".
I saw a shredded Belt and the idler spring lying in the grass under the mower.
I thought "No Problem" I think I have an extra belt from last time.

I looked the part up, and it called for Drive Belt #119-3309 (1/2x58).
I had an extra spare one on the shelf, from when I needed two years ago.
I tried to install it and it seems like it's 3-4 inches TOO LONG.

Worked all day trying to figure out how to make this NEW belt work.

Can any of you guys help ??

Thanks, in advance.
captbruce

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The belt is a simple triangle with the tension arm pushing the engine exit side in towards the center of the triangle.
If you have a lot of slack then usually that means that the belt has slipped off a pulley & is sitting between the pulley & fan

captbruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bertmobile1, thanks for your reply.

I will try again this morning.
It is very hard to reach over the Hydro's and make sure the belt is in place.
I have the rear wheels sitting on cement blocks

After dinner last night I went out and mowed the yard my wife uses most and also mowed a swath between the houses, for easier walking.
The grass was quite high with the daily rains, and the Florida sunshine.

I really need my TORO back in action !!

I'll keep trying.
I have my Son-in-Law to help me. He's only 60 years young...

Thanks, again.
captbruce

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bertmobile1, thanks for your reply.

I will try again this morning.
It is very hard to reach over the Hydro's and make sure the belt is in place.
I have the rear wheels sitting on cement blocks

After dinner last night I went out and mowed the yard my wife uses most and also mowed a swath between the houses, for easier walking.
The grass was quite high with the daily rains, and the Florida sunshine.

I really need my TORO back in action !!

I'll keep trying.
I have my Son-in-Law to help me. He's only 60 years young...

Thanks, again.
captbruce

We will quite happily take any of that rain you don't want .
July was 1.5" against a normal 6"
June was no rain again against an average of 7"
March had 1.125", again short about 3"
April was 0 against an average 10"
Funny enough the grass around here does not really need much of a mow.
Even the blackberries & lantanna have died ( thank heavens ).

I have a yeard crane now days so can lift the bum up a good 3' and even then is is not easy for me.
make sure it is very secure on those blocks you don't want to be under there & have it roll off.

captbruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, again Bertsmobile1.

I read your first reply very carefully this morning, before I decided to reply, and go out and get under the mower again.
The key words that stuck with me were "Exit side" of engine output pulley.
So I had my helper tap the key switch and I watched the rotation, and we had been making the idler loop on the input side.
Duh...
Once we tried the "Exit side" it used up all the belt, so we knew we were on the right track now we just had to get it on both hydros, the idler pulleys and the engine pulley and replace the idler spring and re hook-up the PTO and we were back to mowing.

To gain more access I removed the two bolts that hold the plate between the hydros, and swing the aft portion of the plate down to access easier the hydro pulleys, and make sure the belt stayed on, while I was adjusting the other pulley points.

In 1-1/2 hours we were done mowing, just in time for the afternoon rains.

I wish we could send some rain your way.
Our swales are not handling the excess.

Thanks again, for being on the FORUM.
Best of luck to you, in all of your endeavors.

captbruce

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Worth keeping in the back of your mind.
Chains & belts can only pull so the slack will always be on the exit side
Thsu the tensioner is always on the exit side of the power source.
have a good look at your deck & you will see the same thing.

Glad you got it running, how's your flood pumps?

captbruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
"Chains & belts can only pull so the slack will always be on the exit side"...Good stuff...

I'm not a mechanic, but I've always loved "Wrench'in". I'm just a "Fishing Guide"... I've been guiding for 42 years in Key West, Florida (the Southernmost city in the USA),
I come to Sebastian Fl. (300 miles) to get away from "Hurricane Season", in Key West.

I took "Wood Shop" in High School, but my only real accomplishment there was to come away with all my fingers.

I've owned probably 50-60 motorcycles, in my life, and keep them running still. I have 5 bikes now. I'm 71 years young.
After they made the cars so hard to work on, with the electronic stuff, the only thing I could still tinker with was bikes and now they are getting almost as bad.

I live in Sebastian, Florida, located 150 miles North of Miami, right on the Atlantic Ocean. Miami is prone to flooding but there's no where to pump it to. It's all flooded when it floods, you just have to wait 3-4 days for it to naturally drain thru the canal systems, out to the Ocean. It's an area which naturally flooded (part of the Everglades) which was drained with canals, to create Buildable land and monitored by a "Flood District", arm of the State Government, but "special interests" sometimes gets in the way of "Proper Management"...
The area I live in has no flood problems.

South and Central Florida homes don't have Basements. The first floors are poured Concrete at ground level. A lot of newer homes are filled 2-3 feet with dirt before the slab is poured, the street outside my house is 28 ft. above sea level. Parts of Miami are only 8 ft. above sea level. In Key West, my street is only 3 feet above sea level. On some "High Tides near the full Moon's the sea water covers the street, till the tides Ebbs.

Our rainy season is April-September, Our Summer... Florida's annual rainfall is 60 inches a year.

I hope you get some rain soon.

Best to you.
captbruce

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you need to get into Vintage motorcycles, I have been playing with Beesas for better than 50 years and you only got a couple on me, although on a percentage basis we get closer to the same age every year we draw breath :laughing:
The most regular ride is a 35 model B26 and it always breaks me up when I bump into some one.
"Cool bike you got there mate"
Thanks
"How old is it ?"
It's a 1935 bike
"Oh that's great have you had it since new ?"

As I get this so often, either no one under 50 can subtract or I really look like I am 100.

captbruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very good.

I've had BSA's, Triumph, Norton, all pre-1971.
Seems like I never kept a bike very long.
The one I've had the longest (I call it the "Longevity Award"), is a 1993 Kawasaki KLR650.
I bought it in 1996 and have it still. I will probably never sell it. It's a great "Dual purpose" bike.
I also own a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250s, 1971 Yamaha DT 250, Yamaha RD350...
I just sold the last 2 Harleys, to raise $$$ for my next venture.

Anyway, I don't want to "Hijack" this thread.
Thanks for your help.
Best of luck !!

captbruce

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey it is your thread, do as you like with it.
Worst thing that could happen is it gets shifted into the front porch section.
Where all us old farts hang out on the swing seat chewing tobacci & drinking moon shine from mason jars. :laughing: