Trying to find correct replacement carburetor for my Honda mower

kprojects

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Trying to find correct replacement carburetor for my Honda mower
I have an older Honda push mower - real old.. I believe it may be from the mid/late 90s? Maybe earlier? I received it from my parents about 15 years ago.

Anyway, i've cleaned out the carb a number of times over the years and it's currently not running. Since it's in bad shape, I wanted to order a new carb but can't seem to find the correct one.

From the engine code (SHN135U1G1RA) it 'should' be the GCV160 carb, but after ordering it I realized that the gcv160 carb's stud holes are even across, mine are offset.

For age of mower help, this has a plastic deck which I know they stopped doing at some point..

I've attached some pictures - any ideas?

mower1.jpgmower2.jpgmower3.jpgmower4.jpgmower5.jpgmower6.jpgHonda-GXV140-135cm.jpgHonda-ZG9_HM-6.jpg

Last edited:

tadawson

Threads
Have you checked spark, compression, and valve clearance? If not, throwing a carb at it blindly may well be pointless. Not sure on that series, but other Honda engines have the engijemmodel and serial cast into the front . . . should be easy to cross reference from there, but then again, I don't see anything that tells me that a proper carb rebuild would not be enough.

kprojects

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply - just got the numbers from the block to help determine the correct one - and uploaded the pics above.

Yes, i do have spark, have not checked compression - I don't have the tools for it. Last time I cleaned the carb however, I noticed that the float pin was missing (or my brother-in-law lost it since he wanted to clean it out while I was doing other things).. so I either need to find a float pin or find a new carb. They're pretty cheap on Amazon, the one I purchased already was $14.99.

kprojects

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: with the help of my local honda dealer I was able to figure out this is the 16100-ZG9-M12 carb. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future.

tadawson

Threads
Thanks for the reply - just got the numbers from the block to help determine the correct one - and uploaded the pics above.

Yes, i do have spark, have not checked compression - I don't have the tools for it. Last time I cleaned the carb however, I noticed that the float pin was missing (or my brother-in-law lost it since he wanted to clean it out while I was doing other things).. so I either need to find a float pin or find a new carb. They're pretty cheap on Amazon, the one I purchased already was $14.99.

You won't get a Honda carb for that - just dubious quality Chinese ripoffs . . . . The original will almost always be better if you can keep it going . . . You might check with your local equipment shop - they may have a pin in the spare parts pile that you can have.

tadawson

Threads
Other good news I see! You have the GXV and not the GCV - a far better engine! The GXV is basically the commercial line, whereas the GCV is homeowner grade . . . . This should run pretty much forever if cared for. I have a 1989 or so mower with this engine, and other than needing rings, all else was still in spec this spring, 30 years of significant use later!

Last edited: