Kohler K161 No Spark

Pracher G

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post here.
I have a 1980 model Troy Bilt tiller with the Kohler K161T motor. Great machine!! Earlier this month, I cleaned the carb, and it ran just fine. Right now it will not start. I have replaced points and condenser, and plug. I smell gas fumes when it cranks. It has compression and gas in the tank. When I pull the plug, plug it into the cap and lay it on the block, no spark. What do I check next? This is the 7 HP pull start, no battery.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take a look at the points again, see if something is grounding them out.
Take the cover off and snap some pics.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things I would do. First, remove the kill wire from the points/condenser connection. Then check for spark again. No spark, I would go to number two, recheck your point gap. On those old mules I would set the gap at .018” Still no spark I would test the coil with an Ohm meter. Measure resistance between the wire going to the points and the coil ground. This primary resistance should be less than 15 Ohms. Next, measure resistance between the spark plug wire and coil ground. This resistance should be between 12,000-15,000 Ohms. Readings outside these ranges would indicate a bad coil. If you post back, please include the engines spec number, so we can see which ignition system you have. If you have one of the newest, breakerless ignition systems, these test won’t work. Here is a service manual which may help you out. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...al-K91-K141-K161-K181-K241-K301-K321-K341.pdf

Romore

Threads
Did you run a business card or something similar through the points after you gapped them. They have to be clean.

Pracher G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You for the prompt replies!

Kohler Model K161 T Spec 2812711

Brand new points, sprayed with contact cleaner. Set to 0.020"; Will reset to 0.018. Will try other suggestions tomorrow.

THANK YOU!

Pracher G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Today's discoveries:

Upon removing the points cover, it was clear they were set MUCH wider than 0.020" I reset to 0.018", but still no spark. With points cover removed.
I am not sure where the kill wire is. It appears the button on the points cover simply shorts the points to the grounded (by the cover screws) cover.
I assume coil ground is ground. Ohms across the condenser (out to ground) was 1.7 ohms.
Ohms from the spark plug cap to ground was 9.1k ohms. A bit low.

My spark test is to connect the plug to its' wire, hold against the cylinder head (ground) and pull the rope, looking for a spark.

What next?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• P1010023.jpg
    P1010023.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct, the kill button is there instead of a ground wire. I’m sorry but I didn’t post one step. The wire to the points should be disconnected when testing primary resistance, in your case you also need to disconnect the condenser, so you are just testing the coil. The secondary circuit resistance is not a little low, but way low. With those numbers I would be replacing the coil, but would first do the tests again, reconnect everything and check for spark. Again I’m sorry I forgot a step.

Pracher G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you.
The points were disconnected when I tested the primary. I will disconnect the condenser, too, and test again.
The motor is only 40 years old. Why would the coil go bad so soon? :laughing:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same question has been asked of me, as I’m getting older. “Why don’t you work like you used to”. Answer, “Because I’m older, let the newer techies do the job”. Hope you can find a coil

Pracher G

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the tiller / motor torn down far enough to get to and remove the coil. New ones are available, just not Kohler brand. One is on order from I Save Tractors.com. Thanks for the help!