Hours add up if you forget key on.

turboawd

Threads
My dad left the key on. Lol. Now my Hustler apparently has over the 700 hours, when it probably has around 100.
That's a dumb design.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it is but if you leave it turned on for long enough it will roll over to 0000 again.
However 10,000 hours is a lot longer time than most would expect.
If you do pull the plug off the fuel solenoid or you will burn it out.

Most mowers now run the hour meter off the blades which also is not the best idea as the whole point of it is to schedule regular maintenance.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- My Toro manual states the hour meter only adds time when someone is in the seat. It's wired thru the seat. :confused2:

Not the way I would wire it, but it is what it is.. Hour meter should ONLY read when ever engine is actually running. Like Cat* or AC etc..

turboawd

Threads
Bert- My Toro manual states the hour meter only adds time when someone is in the seat. It's wired thru the seat. :confused2:

Not the way I would wire it, but it is what it is.. Hour meter should ONLY read when ever engine is actually running. Like Cat* or AC etc..

That's not a bad idea the way it's set up. Better than the way Hustler wires it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to run big excavating equipment, so I'm used to an hour meter actually only monitoring when engine runs.

That was a surprise about Hustler, I have to tell my Hustler owning cousin up North about this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
it comes down the cheapness.
And running it off the key is the cheapest way to do it.
JD AYP & MTD all used to run like this if not still now.
Honda seemed to use PTO hours.
If the mower has a tiny tach fitted, that records hours of engine running because it takes the feed off a spark plug wire.
Most of the Toros I have worked on were PTO hours as well.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting, I will check my manual again, it was about 5 years ago I read that..

But after mowing in back, I drive it to the front & PTO off of course & the hours have changed in that distance, & circumstance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting, I will check my manual again, it was about 5 years ago I read that..

But after mowing in back, I drive it to the front & PTO off of course & the hours have changed in that distance, & circumstance.

can also be age or model dependent .
I note the hours when I log in a job and of course check them before the mower goes back to the customer.
Leaving a mower turned on when you have been working on it is an ever present problem.
OTOH on most mowers I slip a seat switch bypass into the socket so I can do things like watch blades & pulleys

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- Possibly.. I keep a written log as well, marking down the hours after each use. So I can compare to years past & more importantly, know when I changed something etc..

I may be too anal.... LOL

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wanna know how many people ring up & tell me the mower was only service last year & now there is a problem that they think should be done for free .
When I check they are not in my data base so I have never sent them a bill & I bought the business 6 years ago.
So no record keeping is not anal at all.
Also comes in handy when you do stuff like swap the brand of blades or belts.

Last edited: