Starter rope won't retract at times.

theoncomingstorm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a Hyper tough string trimmer (Made by MTD). The fifth time I used it, the rope wouldn't return. I started taking of the housing, got all the screws out, then it retracted. It seems to happen about 1/3 of the time.

Should I just replace the starter or can this be fixed without spending any more money on a 3 month old trimmer.

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would look into seeing a dealer about warranty. Could be an issue with the starter pulley jamming up or in some cases I have seen the starter housing warp causing the pulley to jam.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't normally post a do as he says, but it is new , do as Illengine has suggested.
Don't fool with it yourself it is not your problem right now.

theoncomingstorm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tend to agree that a return is what needs to be done but that depends on whether or not Walmart will do an exchange. And if they don't MTD specifically excludes the starter in my warranty.

But I thank you both for your advice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The rope will not be covered because it is a normal wear item but the actual mechanism and the spring pawls etc are warranty items.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whatever you do be careful with the spring. If it flies out it's a super B!tc# to get rewound and back in place. Seems odd that a new machine should have this type of problem, I'd guess, as above, something is warped - probably why they don't stand behind this. If it's still nice and clean, put in the box and return it. Walmart is pretty lenient on this stuff. Or buy another just like it and keep this one for future parts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is one of the new Briggs 3.5 hp engines with the plastic carb and starter mechanism, some of them have had this problem due to a plastic starter cup and plastic starter pawls. ,This could be easily covered under warranty. Post the engine model, type and code numbers please.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If this is one of the new Briggs 3.5 hp engines with the plastic carb and starter mechanism, some of them have had this problem due to a plastic starter cup and plastic starter pawls. ,This could be easily covered under warranty. Post the engine model, type and code numbers please.

Rivets, it is one of the hyper tough MTD build probably like a Remington style string trimmer.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to the OP, I missed that in the original post. What I posted does not apply. Thanks IL for pointing out my mistake, 10 hour day, must be tried.