Plastic Broken flywheels fan blades

Amood5307

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi. my mower had a broken flywheel plastic fan blade from original.just noticed it .So i bought new one and replaced it .i had to adjust it to drill holes in the indentions. 1/2 in to fit over torx bolts ontop flywheel. when turn on crank to mower the plastic flywheel fan blades broke off again .why does it keep braking and how should i fix it for the second time without brakage.Is there something else needs be done. or another part to look at .will i mess up my engine if this is not fixed.Craftman DLS3500, briggs & strt engine

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about providing us with the model number of the engine. Most likely on the OHV cover of the engine. Also if possible post picture of the top of engine so we can see what it going wrong with your engine.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What engine you got?
Can you post pics of the damage?
They aren't hitting the blower housing are they?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only thing I can think of is a wrong bolt in the wrong place. Too long for the position and hits the fan.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No plastic fans should need to be drilled to fit.
If that is the case either you have installed it wrong or it is the wrong part.
The fans can foul on the blower housing and in particular the metal casing that goes under the cylinder if it is a Briggs, found that out the hard way.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
hi. my mower had a broken flywheel plastic fan blade from original.just noticed it .So i bought new one and replaced it .i had to adjust it to drill holes in the indentions. 1/2 in to fit over torx bolts ontop flywheel. when turn on crank to mower the plastic flywheel fan blades broke off again .why does it keep braking and how should i fix it for the second time without brakage.Is there something else needs be done. or another part to look at .will i mess up my engine if this is not fixed.Craftman DLS3500, briggs & strt engine

If you have a Briggs single cylinder, the you're probably putting the cover on wrong. The oil fill tube, that has sort of a wing on it, needs to be (IIRC) on the inside of the part of the cover that fits around the top of the starter. I don't think the metal heat shield on the front of the engine can even reach the fan.