G100 really an MTD?

Hitechluddite

Threads
Looked at a G100 with a 54" deck and a 25HP Kohler Command this evening. The steering is really stiff and will barely turn at all to the right. The front rims have slop at the axles and it looks like it just has plastic sleeves and not bearings. This all begs the question is this a Deere or an MTD? What is the story on this model, is it worth buying? The asking price is a very reasonable $500 but if it will be nothing but problems free is too much!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Should be several notches above the MTD style JD riders. How many hours on the machine? If under 600 or so it could still have a lot of use left in it. Has the Tuff Torq hydro but a heavy duty version. Still a non-serviced transmission though. Could be a real buy if it has been maintained well. Not sure of the steering setup on that model.

Hitechluddite

Threads
Thanks Guys, it has 460 hrs on it. Cosmetically it looks OK but Pricing out some of the steering components gets into $ real quick so I think I'll probably pass.... Been burnt on two old engines this year so I'm a little gun shy ;)