Sick Toro Timemaster

Zeus661

Forum Newbie
Threads
It’s about 5 years old and sounding like it has a hole in the muffler, but it doesn’t. This year I noticed it can take up to five pulls to start when cold. It always was1or 2 pulls. Then when I engage the blades it will stall unless I pull the metal thingy back slow. Once the blades are turning that is when it sounds like a hole in the muffler. Running without the blades engaged and it sounds normal. Last, it seems to want to stall more while ping through the grass unless I go slower. Any comments are appreciated.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might want to post as much information about the engine as you can. Make, model, specification numbers, etc. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer as to where this info is located. I can't tell you where to look because I'm not familiar with the Toro Timemaster but it will probably be needed for someone to help you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably model 20199, with a serial number starting with 312 or 313. Sounds to me like a couple of different problems. Hard starting and shut down when trying to engage the blades are probably a fuel issue. I would suggest that you start by clean and rebuilding the carb with Briggs kit number 398188, making sure that when completed the float level is set slightly rich. The other problem sounds like it could be a head gasket starting to go. Probably in the area of the muffler. In that case you will need to replace the head gasket. Both problems are common with units which are worked hard and stored for long periods with ethanol fuel left in them. If fact I’ve seen both problems in the last two weeks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would also adjust valves per engine manual specs. with engine cold.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And if it sounds very loud, check for signs of leaks around the head gasket.
A gasket blown to atmosphere , although uncommon will make the engine very loud when running, particularly when the engine accelerates and harder to start as you leak in air and leak out fuel.