1962 Simplicity Sovereign 2 part question.

CrBriggs87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Morning, everyone!

Next adventure in the books. In the middle of restoring a 62 Sovereign and have run into a few snags. Exhausted every research outlet and have found no answers. Few possibilities but nothing direct.

First part: The machine starts up fine everytime after having to mess around with the throttle, governor and choke assembly. However, when I put it in drive, the rear axle spins just fine but the tires do NOT. All belts and pulleys appear to be in good shape and functioning properly. I have read about the axle keys but I'm not sure this model has one. Can't find any videos or anything.

Second part: I mentioned above that the machine starts fine and even have the throttle working like it should....besides one problem. The throttle is reversed. Slow is high and high is slow. I can't figure out if I put something on backwards or if I had something in the wrong spot when I connected it.

When I can't find the answers myself, you guys never let me down! Haha. After all these trials and tribulations, I should be able to do some answering here in the future. Appreciate all the past, current and future help, everyone! Thanks in advance!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, if you’ve been to this forum before, you should know that we need numbers in order to help you. Model and serial numbers for the Simplicity are located on either the right or left side frame. Need to get on your knees to find them. If you know it is a 1992 unit the engine model, type and code numbers are stamped into the shroud. With those number we will be able to serve you better.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to simplicity and download your parts book.
There has to be some thing to transfer rotation to the wheels.
If you keep on doing what you are doing you will damage then spline / key way / whatever dose the job.

Throttle linkage plates generally have provision for the cable to come in from either side so they can be universal which cuts costs.
If you have enough cable connect it from the other side or just live with it.

CrBriggs87

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't seem to locate any numbers on the frame. There is a model ID number on the base in front of the seat, 872 01939 (as best as I can make out). I forgot to add on the original post that it is a Simplicity Sovereign 3416S.

Update: I jacked the rear end off the ground to take one of the tires off and decided to show a friend what was happening..and wouldn't you know it, the tires actually spin as they are supposed to when put into drive. However, when I put it back on the ground, it continues doing the same thing it was before. Only the axle spins and the tires do not. Literally can not find ANYthing online about this issue. I have another rear end but it goes to the Sovereign 3415H. Seem to be very different.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have key slot axles? Have you checked to see if you actually have the keys in the slots? Wouldn’t be the first time someone removed the wheels and lost the keys. Without the keys the axle will turn, but not the wheels.

oologahan

Forum Newbie
Threads
They did not make a Sovereign in 1962, your 3416 Shuttle was made from 1973-1974