Kohler Command 16 Not Running

abip43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning!

I have a Kohler Command 16 on a Craftsman riding mower, the Kohler info has been wiped off the sticker so I don't have much information. It first started that it would run and shut down like it was starving for fuel. I replaced the fuel filter & carburetor. Now it runs at what seems to be half throttle and makes some noise as it runs. I took the valve cover gasket off, rockers are tight, rods are not bent, but it seems when its running both valves are opening and closing at the same time. Compression gets upto about 90psi and drops almost immediately when I stop cranking. Also, I put a new plug in, after a minute or two of running the plug is completely black with pretty thick build up.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
First guess would be the choke is not opening? Then maybe the carb float needle valve is not sealing and letting the carb flood the engine. Black fouled plugs on a cold engine would point me toward a carb problem.

mkillian

Threads
Did you check the fuel line coming out of the tank? I found tons of gunk in my tank. The filter actually holds a lot of gas so you can't always tell if the line is clear if you check it downstream. You could try replacing the fuel pump too, they are very cheap and easy to replace.
If the plug is turning black you might want to make sure the valve seals are ok. It's a pain but my engine had that problem. You could need to do a valve job. I would check the fuel lines first and I would also check the coils for spark just in case.

abip43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you check the fuel line coming out of the tank? I found tons of gunk in my tank. The filter actually holds a lot of gas so you can't always tell if the line is clear if you check it downstream. You could try replacing the fuel pump too, they are very cheap and easy to replace.
If the plug is turning black you might want to make sure the valve seals are ok. It's a pain but my engine had that problem. You could need to do a valve job. I would check the fuel lines first and I would also check the coils for spark just in case.

Thanks for responding- Fuel Line is clean, new fuel filter in line. There is no pump, gravity fed system. I have spark, maybe not enough?

abip43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Watching the valves, the exhaust valve opens right after the intake valve closes, finishes cycle and then opens again during exhaust stroke. . . . .

I got the Model # of the motor finally from Sear - Kohler CV460-26509

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good Morning!

I have a Kohler Command 16 on a Craftsman riding mower, the Kohler info has been wiped off the sticker so I don't have much information. It first started that it would run and shut down like it was starving for fuel. I replaced the fuel filter & carburetor. Now it runs at what seems to be half throttle and makes some noise as it runs. I took the valve cover gasket off, rockers are tight, rods are not bent, but it seems when its running both valves are opening and closing at the same time. Compression gets upto about 90psi and drops almost immediately when I stop cranking. Also, I put a new plug in, after a minute or two of running the plug is completely black with pretty thick build up.

Does your mower have a manual choke?