Honda HR214 Sputters and Dies

KMonster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

Newbie here! I have an HR214 and starts from cold start no prob. After running for a while (~2-3 mins) it starts to sputter then eventually die. I replaced carburetor, fuel filter, spark plug, and air filter. Same thing happens! (that was quite a let down, I'd have to say!) Any suggestions please?!

Thanks!

KMonster

Romore

Threads
Check your spark with an inline tester, cheap at Pep Boys or similar auto parts store, and check for spark as soon as the engine quits. The module may be acting up.

KMonster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your spark with an inline tester, cheap at Pep Boys or similar auto parts store, and check for spark as soon as the engine quits. The module may be acting up.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll investigate. From my research online, vapor lock also seems like a possible cause. I'm hoping it's just a clogged gas cap. Bad or clogged muffler? Just more things for me to tinker with...

HurstGN

Threads
Sounds like choke may not be opening fully as designed. Have you verified the operation of the choke?

KMonster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like choke may not be opening fully as designed. Have you verified the operation of the choke?

Choke seems to function fine. Starts no problem with choke. Idles ok at low and high. Engages blade ok. Initially mows the lawn ok. Sputters and dies a few mins later.

golfergordy

Threads
As Romore suggests, it may be the ignition coil magneto that isn't working properly. I remember a few years ago somebody had the same problem, and it turned out to be the ignition coil magneto, which worked fine for a few minutes until it heated up a bit and then quit, and then worked ok again after it cooled off. It's not a difficult job to change it. The air gap with the flywheel and magneto coil is the thickness of a business card, which is what I used when I reassembled the magneto for a repair job requiring removal of the flywheel and magneto on an HR215. The gap actually should be .016" + or - .008" on the HR215, which is probably the same on an HR214. I guess it's possible that the gap on your magneto is out of specs, thereby causing your problem. I just measured the thickness of a std. business card and it was .013", which gets you into the acceptable range.

KMonster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you golfergordy for your reply. Wasn’t the fuel cap (wishful thinking). Ok. I’ll checkout the coil and gap. Thanks for the gap spec. Saves me some researching

Hit’em long and straight!

KMonster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to thank all of you that replied. It was the ignition coil!

Good news is lawn mower is back in action. Bad news is I had to mow the lawn!

tranchinh

Threads
As Romore suggests, it may be the ignition coil magneto that isn't working properly. I remember a few years ago somebody had the same problem, and it turned out to be the ignition coil magneto, which worked fine for a few minutes until it heated up a bit and then quit, and then worked ok again after it cooled off. It's not a difficult job to change it. The air gap with the flywheel and magneto coil is the thickness of a business card, which is what I used when I reassembled the magneto for a repair job requiring removal of the flywheel and magneto on an HR215. The gap actually should be .016" + or - .008" on the HR215, which is probably the same on an HR214. I guess it's possible that the gap on your magneto is out of specs, thereby causing your problem. I just measured the thickness of a std. business card and it was .013", which gets you into the acceptable range.
thank you for the gap,I set my too tight,though as close as possible