Kawasaki FD750D

marinegrunt

Threads
I came across a Kawasaki FD750D. I own a commercial and residential power washing business so was hoping to throw an 8 gpm pump on it. It came out of a mower or tractor so I'm not sure if it'll be worth trying to get this thing setup or not because I'm not sure what all it's missing to run as a stand alone engine. It doesn't have the radiator, coolant reservoir, fuel pump, muffler, ecu, voltage regulator, and ignition switch. Those are just the parts I know it's for sure missing. I've never messed with a fuel injected small engine so I know nothing about them. The engine does have the wiring harness. As far as controlling the fuel injection is it as simple as getting an ecu and plugging it in to the harness? Would I be better off just converting it to a carb and that's if it's even an easy conversion or option?

Does anyone know what it will take to get this thing going if it was pulled out of a mower or tractor?

Thanks for any help or advice!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starting point is to go to an internet parts supplier, look up the engine and find the prices for the missing bits.
You can cheat a bit because when you hit the "More / Details " button most of them *( Jacks & parts tree for sure ) will list the equipment that used that part, thus you can then find mower only items like radiators & mufflers.
Sit down when you start to tally up the parts prices.
I don't think it would be viable when compared to the price of a new engine as Kawasaki parts prices are fairly high.

Luffydog

Threads
Before I ordered anything I would check compression on the engine there is a reason why they pulled it out. Ecm about $500 rad about $400 plus fuel pump $400 muffler about $400 voltage reg over a $100 ignition switch $40 there is about $2000 before you start. Might be better off to look for some used stuff off a blown motor if yours is good. Prob get that complete motor for somewhere about $3000-4000. But I am just guessing at it but prob close

marinegrunt

Threads
Thanks guys. I kind of browsed for some parts and new radiator is $200, used muffler $130, ecu $150. That's all I've looked for though so not sure prices for the other parts. I've never messed with a Kawasaki let alone fuel injected so I don't know what all it needs. I'm sure I can go over a parts diagram to figure it out. I only paid $150 for it so might be worth it. It supposedly has 500 hours on it. If I can get it up and running what's one worth used? That will help me judge how much I should throw into it if I decide to move forward.

As recommended I'll definitely check compression first. Do these have that decompressor like other small engines? Do I need to do a leak down or will an actual compression test work? I'm sure I can find it in a search but what kind of numbers am I looking for?

Thanks again

Luffydog

Threads
About 150psi per side or maybe just under. And yes do all check all to make sure all is good. Far as used price goes can't really put numbers on that really just depends how much he or she wants it and how bad you want to get rid of it. My thing is if he or she pulled it out and didn't want it would raise a red flag to me and would have to ask myself if he didn't want it why should I.

marinegrunt

Threads
About 150psi per side or maybe just under. And yes do all check all to make sure all is good. Far as used price goes can't really put numbers on that really just depends how much he or she wants it and how bad you want to get rid of it. My thing is if he or she pulled it out and didn't want it would raise a red flag to me and would have to ask myself if he didn't want it why should I.

Thanks for the reply and help. I'm definitely curious as to why it was pulled. I might try and find out more of the story but I don't think the young kid I bought it from was the original owner. Hopefully I'll find some time to do a cylinder leakdown test this evening. I'll be sure to post the results.

Thanks!