Toro AWD 20353 - Self Propelled Stays Engaged

Biscuits

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I wanted to start with please forgive my ignorance. I am not mechanical at all with engines, or machines like this. This is my first time attempting to tackle this type of issue, so if I use the wrong verbage I apologize.

A couple months ago I ran into an issue with this lawn mower where the belts finally gave out. The lawn mower choke could not be pulled. I did lots of research, replaced the flywheel key(I first thought this was the issue), and finally replaced both the front and rear belts, once I looked closer and saw they were overlapping each other and fraying. The lawn mower finally starts up, but the self propelled is instantly engaged at fully speed. I have tried adjust the cables near the handle, but the result is exactly the same. I feel like when I put the new belts on they are pulling the self propelled system tightly.

If anyone has any incite I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Biscuit

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, the two belts, when installed properly should never touch or overlap. Are you sure you have them going in the correct direction? Are you sure you installed the correct belt in the correct direction? Front drive belt number 71-9450 and rear drive belt number 115-4669 I don’t have an AWD unit in front of me now, but if I remember the correctly the belt closest to the engine goes to the front and the lower goes to the rear. I might be wrong, but remember they should not touch. Second, what sure the the traction cable by the handle is loose until you push on the self-propell handle. Please post your serial number so I can tell what year mower you have.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot to add that both belts should be loose when installed properly, will tighten up when you push the handle.

Biscuits

Forum Newbie
Threads
Serial #:315017674

Reading back on my first post I realized I worded it wrong. I first replaced the flywheel key, and then when that did not fix it I checked the belts, and noticed they were fraying and overlapping each other. That is when I replaced out the belts.

I did install them in the correct location and direction, but I believe you answered one of my questions, because I am using the same belt for the front and rear - D&D PowerDrive 719450 Toro. With the traction cable I have tried both tightening and loosening it, but it is the same result.

Thank you for the response back.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Using the wrong belt will not allow you to adjust the drive.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remember I don’t have a unit in front of me, so I may have the belt location reversed.

Biscuits

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I replaced the rear belt and it fits so much better, and does not auto engage the rear wheels. Looking at the front belt it seems like it is too short because it is pulling the pulley and engaging the front self propelled. Maybe the aftermarket belt is slightly off on the specs? I went back to home depot to see if they had the front belt, but all they had was this one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22-in-Drive-Belt-for-RWD-Toro-WPM-2009-and-Newer-38991/203651129 I am assuming this would not work for my model/serial number?

Thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct, you need the other belt.

Biscuits

Forum Newbie
Threads
I received the new rear belt last night and installed it today. The front no longer engages, but the rear was still engaging. I swapped it out for the old rear belt, just to try and it no longer engaged. Not sure if I did anything wrong, but the installation looked exactly the same. I also regretfully snapped the new belt by being neglectful in my messing around to get it work. I will just chalk it up as a learning lesson. Currently the lawn mower is functional and can be used, but who knows for how long with the old belt.