Craftsman Mower 917.376240_REBUILT WONT START

cjt28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, first time poster. Awhile back I decided to rebuild a mower that had “slop” in the piston ring when connected to the crankshaft. I was successful in getting it to run [ran like new!] but the spark plug blew out of the cylinder head because the threads were stripped from installing and uninstalling the spark plug. Instead of retapping the threads I went a cheaper route and bought a used cylinder head. I installed the cylinder head with new gasket and now the mower won’t start. I’m using a new spark plug. Rechecked the ignition coil on the flywheel with a feeler gauge. Also checked the ignition coil with my multimeter and got a reading of 5000 ohms. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 07448266-8A8B-42CE-89A9-6AE78625A03D.png
    07448266-8A8B-42CE-89A9-6AE78625A03D.png
    596.9 KB · Views: 6

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What did you tighten the head bolts too?
Spec is 140 in lbs, I did that once and forgot to torque the head bolts and they were just tightened down with my nut driver, torqued to spec and it fires right up.
Seems kind of odd the threads blew out, might be an underlying issue, maybe not.

cjt28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Craftsman Mower 917.376240_REBUILT WONT STARt

Thanks I’ll try that tomorrow. I was torquing to 200 in lbs. Luckily, no bolts broke. Guess I was using the wrong guide. Threads blew because I tightened the plug to tight and kept screwing it in and unscrewing. Beginner here.

120000 Vertical Shaft
http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...art_ms3992.pdf

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't go into hysterics about the numbers.
What is important is they are tight and all the same so there is no weak spot where the gasket can blow.
As you are confessed newbie triple check that you set the valve lash on the compression stroke & not the exhaust stroke.
Both valve should sit roughly parallel in the head.
If one looks a lot further down than the other then it is not on compression.
Worst come to worst you can always go get an insert fitted into the old head.
Get a solid one, not a helicoil or Recoil type wire one.
Most shops should be able to do it for you for around $ 25, as will most auto repair shops , boat shops etc.
Stock in trade for alloy heads but just make sure it is a solid one and from then on put a TOUCH of silver anti-sieze on the threads before you fit the plug.

cjt28

Forum Newbie
Threads
What did you tighten the head bolts too?
Spec is 140 in lbs, I did that once and forgot to torque the head bolts and they were just tightened down with my nut driver, torqued to spec and it fires right up.
Seems kind of odd the threads blew out, might be an underlying issue, maybe not.

Tried the above and the mower started, ran for a few secs. Now it won’t stay running.

cjt28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't go into hysterics about the numbers.
What is important is they are tight and all the same so there is no weak spot where the gasket can blow.
As you are confessed newbie triple check that you set the valve lash on the compression stroke & not the exhaust stroke.
Both valve should sit roughly parallel in the head.
If one looks a lot further down than the other then it is not on compression.
Worst come to worst you can always go get an insert fitted into the old head.
Get a solid one, not a helicoil or Recoil type wire one.
Most shops should be able to do it for you for around $ 25, as will most auto repair shops , boat shops etc.
Stock in trade for alloy heads but just make sure it is a solid one and from then on put a TOUCH of silver anti-sieze on the threads before you fit the plug.

Not sure what you mean, can you upload a picture or diagram. I have no valve lashes to adjust on this mower.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Valve lash A.K.A valve clearance, its the clearance between valve and tappet,
valve clearance for your engine is Intake valve (.005-.007) Exhaust (.007-.009) thats 5 thousandths to 7 thousandths intake, and 7 thousandths to 9 thousandths exhaust.
BUT, i believe on flat heads if the gap is too small, you have to grind the end of the valve, anyone confirm that?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you did the rebuild, did you have the tappets out? If you did you may have switched them around, which will change the valve clearance. You have an L-head engine, the Intake clearance should be .005”-.007” and the Exhaust clearance should be .007”-.009”.

cjt28

Forum Newbie
Threads
I might have switched the tappets around unknowingly. I took the engine completely apart. Tell me if the engine will run with them in incorrectly? A failure could be the spark plug blowing out while the threads [in the spark plug hole] were stripped?