Tiller engine problem

cffisher

Forum Newbie
Threads
5 hp B&S when you pull the rope to start it will yank the rope out of your hand and not start?
It kicks back so hard I use 2 hands .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the flywheel key is sheared. Need to remove the flywheel and check. In the future please do not post the same problem twice, just gets confusing to everyone.

cffisher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry new here did not know I had posted twice. The flywheel key was what I checked. It is OK. Is the cam or crank gear keyed? never had one apart before. Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it's an overhead valve engine, check your valve lash.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not to be a smart A, but are you sure the key is not sheared. Are both key grooves perfectly lined up. If the key is not sheared, you are going to have to pull the side cover and check the timing marks on both the crankshaft and camshaft. If you need two hands to pull the engine over, either the valve timing or ignition timing is off. Easier to pull the flywheel and check the key, than pull the side cover.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And loosen the muffler bolts.
If something has crawled in there & plugged the exhaust totally you get a similar result.

cffisher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I know the flywheel key is not sheared. I have that part off. Rivets How should the marks on the other gears line up. Are they like car cam and crank with a chain. Punched marks??
Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How about giving the make and model numbers of the engine and I’ll find you a manual.

cffisher

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's one thing I can do
Briggs & Stratton
Mod# 135202
Type 0258-01
Code 960105 YD
Thanks again for the help