Craftsman GT5000 belt

blendmik

Threads
Greetings,

I recently obtained a GT5000 rider that runs great. However I got it with a belt missing thinking it will be easy like my other rider. a Craftsman LT1000. That has ONE belt and easily replaced with the deck still attached.

But last night I was going over the GT5000 and this one seems to be considerably more involved. The GT5000 has TWO belts, plastic covers over the bottom pulleys, an electric clutch, and very little clearance under the rider to service it even with the deck all the way down. The broken belt appears to be the top belt which goes to the front pulley with the other underneath it around the blade pulleys.

I have these questions please:

Do I have to remove the deck to replace the top belt ?

Is the top belt to drive the blades or something else ?

What is an electric clutch and do I have to do anything with that ?

Thanks for any help from you great advisors in this excellent forum which had saved me thousands in repair costs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about posting the model number from the tag under the seat. GT5000 is just a series number and that series has been manufactured by two different companies over the years.

blendmik

Threads
How about posting the model number from the tag under the seat. GT5000 is just a series number and that series has been manufactured by two different companies over the years.

Here you go sir Model 917.276022.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Greetings,

I recently obtained a GT5000 rider that runs great. However I got it with a belt missing thinking it will be easy like my other rider. a Craftsman LT1000. That has ONE belt and easily replaced with the deck still attached.

But last night I was going over the GT5000 and this one seems to be considerably more involved. The GT5000 has TWO belts, plastic covers over the bottom pulleys, an electric clutch, and very little clearance under the rider to service it even with the deck all the way down. The broken belt appears to be the top belt which goes to the front pulley with the other underneath it around the blade pulleys.

I have these questions please:

Do I have to remove the deck to replace the top belt ?

Is the top belt to drive the blades or something else ?

What is an electric clutch and do I have to do anything with that ?

Thanks for any help from you great advisors in this excellent forum which had saved me thousands in repair costs.

Do you have to remove the deck to replace the belt? Maybe

Is the top belt to drive the blade or something else? The belt that comes off of the electric clutch goes around a couple idler pulleys and goes to the right side spindle to drive the blades.

What is the electric clutch and do I have to do anything with that? The clutch is an electromagnet that engages by the pull button on the dash to engage the mower blades. for the most part you don't have to do anything with it, but on some clutches do require periodic adjustment of the driving disc clearance.

Also keep in mind there is also a third belt hidden up inside the frame that goes to the transmission.

blendmik

Threads
Thanks so much for all that info.
It appears I do NOT have to remove the deck. Just the plastic cover over the pulleys on the right side so I can slip the belt over. Hopefully having someone depress the clutch will eliminate removing the tension spring to put the belt on.
I'll let you know how I make out and thanks again

Cusser

Threads
I have a LT1000 purchased in 2005. I also can R&R the blade/mowing belt without dropping the deck (which is what the instructions in the owner's manual say to do. I can just remove the right side pulley cover and R&R the belt.

blendmik

Threads
Having trouble finding the ACCURATE part number for that front pulley belt. Doe either of you guys know the part number or the alternate like from NAPA ? Thanks

blendmik

Threads
Okay a BIG thanks to all three of you for the advice and the parts link.
No deck removal, just have to disconnect the rear suspension arm to slip the belt over the bracket and the pulley cover.
Up and running great!
Thanks very much!!