How to flush/clean this carb

rigoletto

Threads
People,

Have a B&S 3HP engine on an edger. No brand (Toro, etc) cuz the info rubbed off/baked off by the sun. Anyway, have a picture up, and I tried to blast the orfice with cleaner, but was not sure the passage is cleared because I do not see fluid exiting from the bottom of the gas suction tube base. Am I doing this right?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 18

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the hex shaped bolt with the O ring in the center, There should be a removable jet under there.

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks, IL. Will try it......

rigoletto

Threads
removed nut, then deeper brass screw (the jet) with orfice inside it, flushed all out. No o ring anywhere, but maybe you meant the round washer (?) in there. Put it all together, and fired it up, again, starts with starter fluid, but dies after 2-3 seconds. Seems like gas is not flowing up that plastic suction tube, but I cant figure out how to flush that tunnel out as there is a tight 90 degree angle in carb going down to tube. Does that tube unscrew/pull out? I didnt want to apply too much force being afraid to snap it.

Also, who knows if the adjustment screw behind the spring is not adjusted right. Any guess as to how I should explore this? Perhaps seat it in all the way, then turn out so many turns to see if that helps? Dont want to mess with it yet.

Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was talking about the round rubber washer. Some of those unscrew, press fit come out, but have to be careful because I have seen them break off and be a rear pain at that time. Also there were a few of those that had a bb on top of the tube to kind of create a one way valve.

rigoletto

Threads
I was talking about the round rubber washer. Some of those unscrew, press fit come out, but have to be careful because I have seen them break off and be a rear pain at that time. Also there were a few of those that had a bb on top of the tube to kind of create a one way valve.

I guess I was never able to locate that rubber washer. But IL, I messed with the mixture screw, and man, the previous owner must have molested it because it was almost shut all the way!! No wonder! I closed all the way, backed it out just 1 full turn, and BAM, engine started, and runs great! Thanks for your support, IL.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like gas is not flowing up that plastic suction tube, but I cant figure out how to flush that tunnel out as there is a tight 90 degree angle in carb going down to tube. Does that tube unscrew/pull out? I didnt want to apply too much force being afraid to snap it.

There is a check ball in that plastic tube to prevent gas from flowing the direction you're trying to make it go. If you put pressure on it, the ball may be stuck.

It is replaceable and cost very little, but the only one I've done was a PITA. Get the replacement tube first and look it over. There is a hex head on the bottom, but IIRC, it's a press fit into the carb body.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like gas is not flowing up that plastic suction tube, but I cant figure out how to flush that tunnel out as there is a tight 90 degree angle in carb going down to tube. Does that tube unscrew/pull out? I didnt want to apply too much force being afraid to snap it.

There is a check ball in that plastic tube to prevent gas from flowing the direction you're trying to make it go. If you put pressure on it, the ball may be stuck.

It is replaceable and cost very little, but the only one I've done was a PITA. Get the replacement tube first and look it over. There is a hex head on the bottom, but IIRC, it's a press fit into the carb body.

Make sure you measure the distance from the mounting flange on the carb to the bottom of this intake tube. The new one needs to be set at this dimension.