HY-GARD vs Type F

deckeda

Threads
The tech manual (service manual) for my tractor isn't explicit enough for me except in one instance where they state to not mix fluids. It says to take a look at the color. If it's honey brown, add Hy Gard. If it's red, add Type F. The book doesn't say at what serial # they switched from one to the other, but hints that they went from Type F to Hy Gard at some point.

For example, the 320 tractor was the last in the 240-260-265-285 family of "200 series" tractors from the late 80s-late 90s ... and the 320 always came with Hy Gard in its transmission. Or perhaps that's merely because the 320 hydro deck lift shares the transmission's fluid to operate, and automatic trans fluid ain't good for that usage.

Speaking of trans fluid, why and how would the ancient Type F be better than whatever the latest and greatest Dexron is? And today you can buy more or less "universal" auto trans fluid that supposedly exceeds *everyone's* specs for their automotive automative transmissions.

Did a brief search for alternatives to Hy Gard (there's no JD dealer near me) but most discussions I've seen are in the context of looking for 303 alternatives. Obviously I don't plan on putting 303 in the transmission.

Anyway.

I've got a 265 with what appears to be Type F in it (it's faint pinkish color, but you can only really discern that when putting a drop onto a white paper towel.) Just under 800 hours. I don't see anything in the tech manual as to how often that fluid should be changed but after 20-something years I'd like to change it and the filter. The book says to use Hy Gard when refilling if you've drained the trans for removal, so I'm reading between the lines to assume it also means refill with Hy Gard if you've drained it and have not removed the transmission ... or should I stick with Type F since "draining" isn't the same as flushing, and it would be mixed (verboten.)

deckeda

Threads
Also still wondering about a drain plug/drain bolt is there is such a thing. The book nowhere mentions that.

deckeda

Threads
Also still wondering about a drain plug/drain bolt is there is such a thing. The book nowhere mentions that.

So ... perhaps the drain at the bottom of the differential is that, and they share the same fluid.