Sears Torque Wrench?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have noticed that. Alot of specs seem to be in in lbs. My clicker does 150 I think but when I'm doing low ft lbs I barely even notice it give. Think I need a smaller one. I was interested in digital but idk what ones are good. I've saw them on amazon and ebay.

The new sump gasket for the V twin intek style engines have a 375 in/lb torque. Was working on a Kohler not too long ago with a head torque of 325 in/lb, and the Hydrogear transaxle I rebuilt for a customer back in January was a 480 in/lb torque. Briggs announced at their last dealer update that some of their fasteners would be using an angular torque rating.

Ckn087

Threads
I'm gonna have to learn more about that one! I have never heard of that.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm gonna have to learn more about that one! I have never heard of that.

It is like doing standard torque like you do now, but after reaching the designed torque then you turn the bolt an additional amount of angle. So what is now 250 in/lb may become 135 in/lb then turn an additional 30 degrees.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are those bolts now single-use?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
cpurvis, It wasn't mentioned but I could see that being a possibility.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW I have 5 tension wrenches
The small ones 4', 6" & 10" are all Warren & Browns
These are deflecting bar type with a spring loaded clicker.
Best of both worlds.
The square drive comes out so you flip it over for doing LH threads.

Every now & then the tool shops down here run a tension wrench checking day
I am sure they would do the same over there as well.
Generally in conjunction with a promo for an overpriced "avaition grade" wrench so take advantage of them to get yours checked.
All of mine are +/- 5% for accuracy & 100% for repeatibility which is fine because published tension numbers are nearly always for brand new dry bolts in virgin holes, a situation which we never ever see in practice.
A small ward of warning here for those who do not do this daily.
Always double check the conditions because some times the torques are for "Lightly oiled threads in clean holes" and occasionally for "bolts with locktite "

For bigger jobs there is a standard 18" two way defecting bar that you have to watch the pointer but when you are doing 80 to 160 ft lbs, watching the needle is not so much of a problem
After that there is the 24" one which is micrometer adjustment spring loaded one.
Can't remember the last time I used it, not much gets done up better than 150 ft/lbs.

What I was always taught was to use the correct size tools and this applies double for tension wrenches. the upper & lower 10 % should never be used as they are not accurate enough at either end of their scales.
Also +/- 10% is not a problem as what is usually most important for the jobs most do most often, is that all of the fasteners are done up to the SAME torque this is vital for heads & cases if you want a leak free engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
To the OP- Local Auto Parts stores have tool loaner programs.. You leave a deposit, borrow tool you need, then return for your money back..

Just another option..